Downsizing from 12 owners to 10 owners

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
Tom W

Downsizing from 12 owners to 10 owners

#1 Post by Tom W »

We are a long time 12 team AL only keeper league, 5X5, $260 with 23 players and four minor leaguers allowed (on a separate minor league reserve list). We follow most “book” rules. This year we are at 10 owners due to unforeseen owner issues. Do you see any pitfalls that we should be aware of for this season and next season if we remain at 10 owners? Our winter meeting is coming up. We'd like to be able to draft all AL players. Some owners want to go to 25 players per team, others may want a reserve list to start the season with 3 to 4 players placed on the list separate from the draft at a salary of $10. (We allow a reserve list but start the season with no players on it). Others want a return to $5 minimum FAAB bid in an effort to limit draft inflation for the following year. Is there a consensus out there regarding protecting the integrity of the auction draft when reducing the number of owners?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Downsizing from 12 owners to 10 owners

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Keeping in mind Houston is coming over in 2013, your problem may just take care of itself after this season, if you decide to stay at 10.

The suggestion I'll make is something many leagues use. Keep FAAB as is, but make the keeper price to be $10 or the FAAB bid, whichever is higher.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I agree with Todd... we've had an AL only 12 teamer for 25+ years and went to 11 teams last year due to owner attrition. I would recommend you stay the course for now - don't change any rules, be grateful the pools are a tad deeper and wait and see what next year's fallout is, especially with the Stros coming over.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Tom W wrote:We are a long time 12 team AL only keeper league, 5X5, $260 with 23 players and four minor leaguers allowed (on a separate minor league reserve list). We follow most “book” rules. This year we are at 10 owners due to unforeseen owner issues. Do you see any pitfalls that we should be aware of for this season and next season if we remain at 10 owners? Our winter meeting is coming up. We'd like to be able to draft all AL players. Some owners want to go to 25 players per team, others may want a reserve list to start the season with 3 to 4 players placed on the list separate from the draft at a salary of $10. (We allow a reserve list but start the season with no players on it). Others want a return to $5 minimum FAAB bid in an effort to limit draft inflation for the following year. Is there a consensus out there regarding protecting the integrity of the auction draft when reducing the number of owners?
There is no problem with just going down to ten IF you can't find an eleventh or twelfth owner.
I would completely support a two or three round reserve draft with a $10 keeper salary as you have alluded to.

BUT the one thing I would get your league to change if I am reading your comments correctly - The winning FAAB bid should have NOTHING to do with the salary of a free agent. With exception of crossover players (who should not even be eligible to be kept the following year) all free agents should have a $10 salary for retention. If you use an in season salary cap they should count $5 against the cap but again to be kept the following year should had a $10 salary

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I should add one other thing from our rules ... you can't keep ANY player who was FAAB'ed beyond the year he was bought in ...no if's, and's or but's. He goes back in the pool the next year ...less messy that way.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Tom W

#6 Post by Tom W »

Thanks for the answers. Most mention the $10 keeper price as the benchmark for the following year. In a league that will be downsizing is there a reason that a FAAB keeper price of $5 wouldn't work? Our FAAB action is busy at the beginning of the season and most owners think it brings in some nice action and revenue. With less owners, is there some draft strategy that could rear its ugly head because of the deep player pool available? Would the FAAB keeper price of $5 contribute mightily to draft inflation the following year? Is it a cause for concern?

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by SteveB »

The only thing i would add...do you guys want to get back up to 12 teams next year? If so i would strongly suggest working out the rules for adding a new team now. Some sort of supplemental draft usually works best it just makes things MUCH easier if its spelled out in advance and owners can both compete this year and properly plan for next if the team is out of contention.

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

Tom W wrote:Thanks for the answers. Most mention the $10 keeper price as the benchmark for the following year. In a league that will be downsizing is there a reason that a FAAB keeper price of $5 wouldn't work? Our FAAB action is busy at the beginning of the season and most owners think it brings in some nice action and revenue. With less owners, is there some draft strategy that could rear its ugly head because of the deep player pool available? Would the FAAB keeper price of $5 contribute mightily to draft inflation the following year? Is it a cause for concern?
Yes the $5 price not only contributes to inflation but it undermines the price structure from the auction.

Think of it this way - if nobody wanted the player in the auction why should someone get a possible cheap keeper for picking them up?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Captain Hook wrote:Think of it this way - if nobody wanted the player in the auction why should someone get a possible cheap keeper for picking them up?
Precisely why FAAB's in our league are a one year rental. To my way of thinking, the original intent of the auction was that everyone can buy any player as long as he has the units to do so. FAAB precludes that equality in some cases.