Houston moving to Al in 2013

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
shif6
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: 5x5 keeper, auction

Houston moving to Al in 2013

#1 Post by shif6 »

Is there a thread discussing the implication for fantasy rules on this site? My view is that player pool penetration in AL standard leagues is insanely deep especially for hitters. I am curious what people think the acceptable range of pool penetration is for hitters and pitchers.

Trav The Ump

Re: Houston moving to Al in 2013

#2 Post by Trav The Ump »

Not sure I follow, but this is the right place to post it!

shif6
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by shif6 »

This is the place to discuss league rules. Houston moving to the AL in 2013 adds to AL and subtracts from NL and their corresponding fantasy leagues. This could, in my view should, affect fantasy roster sizes and their composition as well as the total budget afforded to each team in auctions. I am asking if there is a thread about this on this site and related questions in the above post.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

no thread yet but I am sure it will be a hot button topic -- especially in NL only keeper leagues since they have to decide now what they want to do about keepers as it will influence the 2012 auction/draft (insert how many Astros are worth drafting joke here).

In AL only, I think what I might do is push for a 24th roster spot, to be a UT/P spot, that is it can be a hitter or a pitcher.

NL-only with 13 team may have to hop someone quits :(

Or eliminate an OF spot or make the CI/MI to be just 1 spot and call it INF
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#5 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I can't speak for the NL side of this but as someone who plays in a 12 team AL only I can say that I feel strongly that rosters should not be changed at all. Teams now routinely carry 11 and even 12 pitchers. This has depleted the hitter pool severely. I feel that influx of 13 or so astro hitters is just what a barren WW needs.

shif6
Major League Veteran

#6 Post by shif6 »

If my math is right, current pool penetration in AL standard leagues (not taking reserves into account) is 78.8%. If the rosters are not changed in 2013, the figure will be 73.6% Adding another player to an AL roster would produce 76.8% penetration. One of the leagues I am in (Rob’s) a standard AL league, has no reserves (except for farm players and injured players or players sent down), yet the free agent pool is dismal. Of course, it is possible to find pitchers over the course of the season, but most of the time for hitters, it is difficult to find anyone even with playing time to speak of.
I do not understand the appeal of such deep penetration. If I were forced to add a player, I would resist the possibility of adding a hitter. Better, I think, to have some hitters worth rostering in the free agent pool.

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

I see no reason to change the roster size or your other rules

Besides how many Astros are really rosterable?