Rotolab

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

Rotolab

#1 Post by alleyoops »

Not sure this belongs in this section. If not, please move it.

I've been a very happy Rotolab user for a number of years. I highly recommend the product, and its owner/inventor/guru Merv.

There is one part of the product which I've become disillusioned with, and that's the exclusive arrangement that RL has with BBHQ, where the HQ projections are the only ones which can be imported into the software. I've asked Merv if they can open it up to other sites (Mastersball, for example), maybe by allowing import from formatted Excel file(s). In previous years he's said no, but this year he hasn't responded (giving me perhaps false hope).

It would be so great if MB and RL could develop a relationship. This would be the best of both worlds, as I've grown increasingly unhappy with HQ's projections. I didn't have access to MB's this year, but I'm sure they were as good, or better. My biggest issue with HQ's is that a) they've been pretty far off on some of the guys who they take stands on (like Crawford and Casilla this year), and b) they're very slow to revise projections based on this year's performance.

I've already decided that next year I'll be a Platinum member here. I'll probably use Rotolab, as well, even if it can't use MB projections, but darn, it would be nice if it could.

deansdaddy

Re: Rotolab

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

I will say this as a loyal user of Roto and DraftLab for the past serveral years. I too love the software. I thought there was a way of importing other projections. I'll admit I never tried to do this , but I thought you could. One thing that you can do is adjust the rankings for any player in the system. I only used rotolab in one draft this year (the roto 500 auction) as for straight drafts I used only my trusty mb Tier sheets, which I tweaked slightly.

That said, I will speak from experience as a Platinum subscriber that I am very pleased with the product and will continue to make it part of my seasonal info purchases. For my money MB isn't just about the numbers. The real value for me in the Platinum package has been the articles and tools that have helped me readjust and refocus my approach as it pertains to valuing and drafting players. Also, I this site provides you with a basic understanding of how the projections they are selling you are arrived at. Now I am not a numbers guy and my understanding of "numerish" is low. In fact too much math makes my head hurt - but I love that this philosophy here is rooted there and made accessible enough for a "feel" fantasy player like me to take advantage of. Others can speak to the value of the projections engine, which you can use to do various things with. For me the most useful tool were the Tier drafts sheets, player profiles

I have been an HQ subscriber longer than I have been a MB subscriber. I still value the work they do day in and day out. But I feel their approach doesn't necessarily lead to good draftingm I think they do great in season analysis of emerging talent. Still I feel MB is the hands down winner over any site I have tried when it comes to draft prep and how to approach roster construction.

This season I made an effort to fully embrace the MB philosophy in my drafts and I am having my best season in years. Aside from my MB dynasty team and a team in the Roto500 league, I have 4 regular leagues I am in this year. Currently I have 2 1st place teams and 2 2nd place teams. The success I believe is a direct result of a more focused apporach to my drafts. Numbers were part of it - but truly so was getting past the numbers and changing how I approached constructing my team at the draft table. I definitley felt like I had a streamlined approach this year that served me well.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Rotolab

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

couple comments...

1. before Rotolab worked out their deal with Baseball HQ and you could import projections, he were working with Merv to facilitate importing our numbers and if the opportunity presents itself again, we would be happy to work with them again

2. that said, we are working on our own draft software, though it is not going to be in the same league as Rotolab (yet)
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord