Showtime, Coach

The place to just hang out and chat with your friends.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Showtime, Coach

#11 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

One down ...one to go, coach. Sunday night was a pisser ... never did that before - a true 10 team 5x5 auction keeper league in it's inaugural season. 270 players auctioned off in 3 1/2 hours. I know this one went WAY past your bedtime ....but you hung in like a trooper ....and I was dragging ass at that point so I can imagine how you felt. Time to suck it up, though ... Friday night awaits.

But i will say one thing ... phone delays are funny - but a new league means new people ....and juts because YOU couldn't believe some of the prices didn't mean they weren't valid ... although how a starting OF is around at the end for 2 units and another starting outfielder is a reserve choice stunned me as well. Friday will probably be a little more predictable.

What's that,you kibitzers? Who were those two OF in that NL only 5x5? Why Parra and Tabata, thank you. Yeah, coach ...but Venable at 14 was your best deal of the night. We'll see how Friday and Saturday go.
Last edited by da_big_kid_94 on April 5th, 2014, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Coach, you continue to amaze. I think this was the first auction you ever distributed money so evenly - and the results indicate it paid off. But first - stop with the damn Kyle Kendrick love affair already! Exactly what you need ... a slo pitch softball player on a bad team. How many times must I tell you? HE SUCKS! And if I'M the AL expert, what the hell are you doing disagreeing with me about Ervin Santana?? Last year was the exception, not the norm. And every time he gets gopheritis, you're gonna hear from me.

Now on the other hand, I am so glad you switched over and picked Heisey over Ludwick ... and for a buck, no less. And saving money for Peralta, Rollins and Aram was great - 26 units for the three of them. That's impressive. You like Belt - my jury is still out on him but it's your team. Even I'm going to have to do some research for the two college kids Salas and Downes. Imagine, an 89 year old man drafting COLLEGE kids in a keeper league?? Marvelous.

Once again, you proved you can teach an old dog ....you just can't teach him much. Proud of you, coach and I love you very much. The last 36 hours have been very tough - I'm glad you were there for your support and counsel.

See ya Sunday.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I sit here this morning, with the great David Benoit playing in the background and contemplate the importance of this weekend. This weekend is Father's Day - one of my two favorite holidays (Thanksgiving being the other). For a while, Father's Day did not have the importance it once had for me ... but now it is back. I am once again blessed to be able to share this holiday with my father and my rotor baseball partner. It is something that I dearly appreciate - even the arguments about the relative value of Will Venable this year. I know that many of my friends, relatives and acquaintances no longer have that privilege. To them I say, do not mourn - remember and celebrate. The boss and I have raised 4 men to become class human beings - mostly due to their own efforts - but in some small way, we have contributed to what they are today and we have three grandchildren we could NOT be more proud of, as well as daughters-in-law who helped mold those grandchildren.

The last several years have shown us alternatives to things that COULD have turned out differently ... and fortunately, for us, did not. Don't make this holiday about throwing an extra hamburger on the grill for the old man with a $15 Home Depot gift card. Make it about the fact that he paid his dues in full .... and pay some of yours in return. Chances are he will appreciate that much, much more.

To all the dads ... with us or not ....Happy Father's Day.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Another year, old boy. I thought you were nuts for keeping Jayson Werth at 15 units but I couldn't talk you out of it. On the other hand, if the cards fall right, you and your 90 year old butt just may pull this off. The bidding is going to be crucial for you, as you said, but you seem to have your backup plans in place should someone fall through the cracks. I am not in love with your desired corner IF considering I owned him once - but we'll see. Least I know you are still capable of making your own decisions and I am so happy about that. This year I'll be a little more helpful ...you know what was weighing heavily last year ...but he's back and healthy so that's a big plus. Just don't fall in love with your numbers, eh? Big difference between available slots and quality players to fill them.

And one thing ...one of the guys on these boards can't do what I do with you any more ... and I respect his views a whole lot ... so win this thing will ya? Third was nice ...but lets' pull it off this year eh? Still love ya, coach.

Your loving son

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I sit here today with three bourbons ( or Tennessee sippin' whiskey if you prefer) in me and I don't know what 2016 will bring. My hero suffered a stroke in late August - I thought it was all over ... WRONG! Sumbitch tells me what lineup changes he wants made to his fantasy football teams from his rehab bed ...so he's still got his fastball ... lot slower and tough to understand ...but he's still got it at 91 ... and that AIN'T his radar gun clocking.

People .. I don't write this for an attaboy or a way to go, keep fighting response. If I may be permitted - one of the moderators doesn't get this option any more (and, sorry Perry ... it ain't you). I have done tech writing for 25+ years so I think I have a pretty good idea on how to express myself. Many of the old timers on these boards are gone (Bod,Roche ...even KC Cubs and a certain Chigo fan) but guys like Tampa Bob, Trav, gshannon (or Kelly Leak, if you prefer), brooklyn49 and the like are still around ... and the American holiday of Thanksgiving is almost upon us. So folks, be thankful for what you still have - there are members who would KILL for what I stlll am fortunate enough to have... and I understand that. You're estranged ... you had problems .. you don't like each other? Time to put that on the back burner ....take advantage of it before it's gone and you can't do a damned thing about it. Fix it and talk to your loved ones while you still can.

Forget your pride ...my experience? Pride tastes a lot like chicken. Happy Holidays, Masterballers. And CWK ...hope all is well, matey.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Goodbye, Coach. Thanks for everything.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Todd Zola »

Aw man, sorry John.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Thanks, Todd. I remember full well how much you can appreciate this.

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

#19 Post by Kelly_Leak »

My heart aches for you.

My wife and I recently welcomed a boy into our household. I hope to share a bond similar with him to what you have written about over the years in this thread - it doesn't have to fantasy or even sports in general, just something that we are both passionate about.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#20 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Congratulations, old sport. If you get half of what I had with my father, you and the little lady will be tremendously fortunate. Best wishes and thank you.