Favorite Ballpark Memory

For when you want to talk about baseball, but not fantasy baseball, or any sport for that matter.
Shyguy30

Favorite Ballpark Memory

#1 Post by Shyguy30 »

I don't get to many games (I live at least two hours from any stadium, and the nearest is the Royals) but I had the tremendous fortune to be at US Cellular Field for Mark Buehrle's perfect game. It struck me that this would be the ballpark memory I would point to when telling stories to my grandkids. So I thought it would make a good idea for a thread. What is your favorite ballpark memory?

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: Favorite Ballpark Memory

#2 Post by viper »

mine is easy. Baltimore. May 17, 1996. Opponent Seattle.

In the 8th inning AROD hit a GS. Baltimore came back with a Cal solo blast in the bottom of the 8th but Seattle added 2 more in the ninth on a Jay Bruner 2-run HR. In the bottom of the ninth the Orioles loaded the bases. With two out and a 3-2 count, Chris Hoiles launched the ultimate walk-off GS home run for a 14-13 victory. On the walk out of the stadium my son realized the Jose Mesa got the win. In 1.1 IP, Mesa gave up a walk, 3 hits and 4 runs. Not exactly you normal game winning performance.

It was around that time that Nike had a t-shirt that essentially said,

"Down by three,
bases loaded,
3-2 count.
No problem".

We arrived at the game in the second inning. The score was already 2-0 Orioles and there had been 4 hits. We really didn't miss much, all things considered.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer