Pitcher CRVC Question

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
sme1975
Major Leaguer

Pitcher CRVC Question

#1 Post by sme1975 »

I was just wondering why different pitchers all with 0 projected saves earn different $$ in the saves category? I'm guessing it has something to do with IP, but im not sure...I realized it ultimately makes no difference...I was just wondering how/why it happens.

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

Re: Pitcher CRVC Question

#2 Post by Kelly_Leak »

I know Todd is off to NY today, so I can attempt to answer based on what I understand is happening. Todd can correct (or expand upon) what I can offer...

This is not an isolated occurrence with only saves, you will find the same to be true of all other categories that are displayed on the VALUES tab.

Basically, there are some adjustment calculations that force the required number of players into the positive player. This is necessary because the CVRC guesses that the replacement statistic for each category is equivalent to the last value of each stat that would be in the positive player pool (example: 12 teams, 9 pitchers each; the 108th ranked K number is set as the replacement level for Ks). This "guess" is good for an initial run of values/ranks, but will not be perfect in placing the required players needed for the positive player pool (there may only be 98 positive pitchers when 108 are actually needed). Because this adjustment calc is needed there is not a great way to display the category dollar values because they have now been skewed by this force adjustment. If we only viewed the original calculation (before the player pool force) we would see that all pitchers projected for 0 saves are given the same value for saves.

Its kind of hard to explain in words, but makes sense in a spreadsheet.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

sme1975 wrote:I was just wondering why different pitchers all with 0 projected saves earn different $$ in the saves category? I'm guessing it has something to do with IP, but im not sure...I realized it ultimately makes no difference...I was just wondering how/why it happens.
Long story short is please ignore it. The final value is fine. As KL explains, it has to do with marginal cost and scaling. I really should stop generating the number and should just supply the value until I figure out the best way to adjust the numbers. What's important is the nuts and bolts is fine -- a save is worth the same for everyone, as is a win, w K etc.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

sme1975
Major Leaguer

#4 Post by sme1975 »

thanks...i figured it was something above my head