Category Weights...

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
gmatles
Major League Regular

Category Weights...

#1 Post by gmatles »

Hi Todd,

I just ran the hitting CVRC using the Feb 8 projections for my 12 team AL only 5x5 league and I have a question about the results. We have an auction budget of $315 to purchase 10 hitters/10 pitchers and I use a 67% hitting/33% pitching budget split. Based on these league parameters I set the CVRC for 12 teams with 12 catchers, 108 OF and a budget of $315 with 67% spent on hitting and category weights of 1 each. Based on these inputs the total amount of the cumulative value assigned to players in the positive player pool should be $2,532.60 (($315 x 12) / (.67) = $2532.6) with $506.52 assigned to each category since $2,532.60 / 5 = $506.52.

Sure enough, the cumulative player values in the positive pool was exactly $2532.60 but the totals for each category differed from the expected $506.52, the individual categories and their %'s of the total were as follows:
HR $522.15 or 20.6%
RBI $530.65 or 20.9%
SB $459.72 or 18.2%
OBP $470.20 or 18.6%
Runs $549.88 or 21.7%

If each category weight is set at 1 and the cumulative amount equals the amount of money available in the hitting pool what accounts for the differences in each of the category amounts? Is it built into your valuation model to slightly value the categories differently or just a quirk/glitch in the system?

GM

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Category Weights...

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

As I have stated in other threads, the category totals should be completely ignored. The calculation is done properly. Where it counts the categories have equal weights.

There's a marginal pricing element that makes the scaling for presentation seem odd.

It's low on my Toddy-do list but one of these years I'll figure out how to make the CAT$ more accurate.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord