MasterDraft "read only" database

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
captgus
Major League Veteran

MasterDraft "read only" database

#1 Post by captgus »

Just a quick question and I apologize in advance if there is a similar thread, I couldn't find one. I'm attempting to save data and receiving an "read only database" error message. I first noticed it trying to change the resolution in options and then again when attempting to create a league. Did I miss something obvious? :oops: I just now noticed that the license option under the HELP menu item is greyed out but I didn't see anything in the manual to suggest that I would need a license.

thanks
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: MasterDraft "read only" database

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I am going to ask Pasko to look into this.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

captgus
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by captgus »

Thank you Todd.

The General, Spring 1991

paskov
Major League Regular

#4 Post by paskov »

I hate when I cannot reproduce a problem reported by a customer. I have tried, believe me, but to no avail. The files downloaded from the site have full permission on my laptop. But then everyone’s laptop is configured differently.
Do me a favor and open Windows Explorer (right click on Start globe, left click on Explore), navigate to where you have unzipped the executable and open a folder called My Baseball that you will find in that location (double-click on the folder name to open it). You will find three files. These are the data base files. Check their properties. Highlight a file name (left click on anyone of the three files), right click and then left click on Properties. When the Properties windows pops up, open Security tab. “Everyone” should be highlighted (upper pane) and Full Control should be checked (lower pane). If not, then give Full Control to Everyone for all three files.
Since you are there, give Full Control to Everyone to the executable and the MastersDraft Lib folder.
This should give full permission to all the files.
Pasko

captgus
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by captgus »

Ok thanks Pasko, sounds like a Windows 7 security issue then and you've given me a great place to start with. I'm off to dinner but I'll fiddle with it tonight and see what I can come up with.

Thank you both for your prompt replies and sorry to bother you.

The General, Spring 1991

captgus
Major League Veteran

#6 Post by captgus »

Gentlemen, thanks for you help. I tried changing the permissions the files and folders the first go around, with no luck. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it, but originally I extracted the files into a directory AND then moved them (maintaining the same folder structure) to C:\Program Files. In any event, I deleted those, extracted them to another location and no longer receive the "read only" database error. Long story short, I'm up and running now so thanks.

Pasko, I'm not sure it matters but if you're interested, I'd be more than happy to try and extract the files directly to C:\Program Files, to see if I get more "read only" errors in an attempt to see if it's a windows 7 security issue or extracting the files and then moving them to another location. I suspect it's a Win 7 security issue on my laptop but I'd be more an happy to mess around with it, in the off chance someone else bumps into the same problem.

The General, Spring 1991

paskov
Major League Regular

#7 Post by paskov »

Yes, please, anything that you find may help us resolve other people’s problems. I have Win7, but, as I said, everyone’s laptop/desktop is configured differently. We will post your findings on a Troubleshooting page.
Also, I must apologize for providing a reply that appeared too detailed. You see, the most issues that we had last year were caused by lack of computer knowledge. Or, maybe I should say, by a gap between my expectations and the real computer skill of average population out there. You obviously know computers and my reply went into unnecessary details. Needless to say, we learned from last year’s experience.
Thank you again.

pmark

#8 Post by pmark »

I ran into this when I unzipped the Masterdraft program into the Program Files folder (using Windows 7 64bit). The Masterdraft program doesn't have access to alter the files in this folder so I just move the whole masterdraft folder to a different folder than Program Files. This resolved it for me. Hope it helps!

paskov
Major League Regular

#9 Post by paskov »

We software developers hate Win7 and all it security featuresh

Pasko