MastersDraft and keepers

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
mjlewis
Major League Veteran

MastersDraft and keepers

#1 Post by mjlewis »

so after my test run last night, I'm going to try using MastersDraft at my real auctions this weekend. A couple of clarifications would be useful though:

I know that MastersDraft allows me to enter keepers. Does it calculate inflation off that or adjust the player prices at all based on that?

Does MD adjust player prices based on who I have on my team so far? I know it asks which team is mine but I'm not entirely clear on what it does with that information.

On the screen where it shows the running standings using projections, when it says I'm running behind on a category, is it taking into account:

how many hitters I've taken so far (i.e. that I might have fewer hitters than other people)?
how much I've spent on hitters so far?
what positions I still have to fill and what the remaining players at those positions can contribute? (this one sounds complicated)

Overall though I'm pretty impressed with it. Nice work.

- Mike

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: MastersDraft and keepers

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

mjlewis wrote:so after my test run last night, I'm going to try using MastersDraft at my real auctions this weekend. A couple of clarifications would be useful though:

I know that MastersDraft allows me to enter keepers. Does it calculate inflation off that or adjust the player prices at all based on that?

Does MD adjust player prices based on who I have on my team so far? I know it asks which team is mine but I'm not entirely clear on what it does with that information.
This version does not do any of this. The plan is to incorporate the "brains" of the CVRC into the next version so this sort of stuff can be done.
mjlewis wrote:On the screen where it shows the running standings using projections, when it says I'm running behind on a category, is it taking into account:

how many hitters I've taken so far (i.e. that I might have fewer hitters than other people)?
how much I've spent on hitters so far?
what positions I still have to fill and what the remaining players at those positions can contribute? (this one sounds complicated)

Overall though I'm pretty impressed with it. Nice work.

- Mike
I'll ask Pasko to handle this since he wrote the code.

Thanks for the kind words. This is only a start. We have some additions planned.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by mjlewis »

Is there a good way to use the CVRC to calculate inflated prices then? I can't figure out anything more clever than deleting some players and reducing my budget to (260 * number of teams - amount spent on keepers) / number of teams.

- Mike

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

mjlewis wrote:Is there a good way to use the CVRC to calculate inflated prices then? I can't figure out anything more clever than deleting some players and reducing my budget to (260 * number of teams - amount spent on keepers) / number of teams.

- Mike
With the caveat that I am anti towards quantifying inflation, I prefer your quoted method to the conventional linear application. I wrote a primer on doing the above that may be in the archives, but above is the general idea.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord