Hitting CVRC question...

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
Andy

Hitting CVRC question...

#1 Post by Andy »

Hey guys. I'd been using the CVRC to generate the "Draft Software" values which I copied into another spreadsheet that I use in a particular slow draft.

This example was for an 11 team league with standard roster with one exception - single catcher slot.

Today I noticed that this iteration (21/02) of the generator has thrown back 17 catchers with positive value... is this usual?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Hitting CVRC question...

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

just an an FYI -- there is nothing special about the draft software values -- that sheet is simply formatted the same manner as the projection sheet for common leagues, for easier portability into the draft software. You get the same values using the regular value button, and as a matter of fact, you need to run the values using the usual button before getting the draft software values.

That said...

I am a little confused as to whether the 17 catchers results from the "11" of "22" setting.

Either way, unfortunately, the math is not perfect with the current process and the number of catchers is not going to be 11 or 22. The Todd from 5 years ago would be pissed off with today's Todd (I've officially lost it, talking in 3rd person), but today's Todd has a better understanding of values and understands that the numbers are "close enough for government work".

That said, I do want to improve the pool size mechanism to have it match, so I do not have to sound like a goof saying "close enough for jazz" is okay.

It has to do with needing to make replacement a static number. The "original" method used tweaking replacement values to set the pool size to the precise number of players. I can't make you do repeated sorts in an automated method, so I came up with this method which gets values almost the same, with the exception of the catcher quirks.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Andy

#3 Post by Andy »

Todd Zola wrote:just an an FYI -- there is nothing special about the draft software values -- that sheet is simply formatted the same manner as the projection sheet for common leagues, for easier portability into the draft software. You get the same values using the regular value button, and as a matter of fact, you need to run the values using the usual button before getting the draft software values.
Ah, that might be the problem. Will try that again when I get back to my Windows pc...

Thanks!

Andy

#4 Post by Andy »

Yep, problem solved. Thanks Todd.