CVRC question

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
mjlewis
Major League Veteran

CVRC question

#1 Post by mjlewis »

The CVRC defaults to having category weights of 1.35 for HR, 1.1 for RBI, etc. The instructions say to set the weights to 1 for a standard 5x5 league. Is that correct?

- Mike

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: CVRC question

#2 Post by viper »

Todd has changed the defaults on the download to those he prefers based on his long observations of what works. The beauty of the CVRC is you can adjust the category weights and the player base. Not to mention the actual projections used, the calculating positions and the like.

About the only thing you cannot change is the replacement player methodology. My big complaint on all other sites is they do not allow for alternate projection conditions.

An interesting exercise is to use CVRC using three positional designations and two different category weightings. Use:
1B/2B/3B/SS/OF/DH/C, then use C/OF and finally use OF only. This will demonstrate the impact of scarcity. Then run these positional options against Todd's "recommended" weighting and the all "1" weighting. Difference of up to $6 occur. Most are just $0 to $3 but even three is a lot for those that live and die by these dollar projections/guesses.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

mjlewis wrote:The CVRC defaults to having category weights of 1.35 for HR, 1.1 for RBI, etc. The instructions say to set the weights to 1 for a standard 5x5 league. Is that correct?

- Mike
Where does it say this? I will edit that and point towards the explanation for the weightings.

ETA - Okay, found it. The CER numbers are the adjustment but that is written pretty poorly and assumes everyone has read all the site content at the time I wrote that. And, I re-adjusted the CER weights listed there. CER is category efficiency ratings. The is some site literature on the concept.

Now I just need to remember the password to unlock instructions sheet on the CVRC :)
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

shif6
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: 5x5 keeper, auction

#4 Post by shif6 »

Is there an essay on why the category weights are what they are? I am interested in why the hitting categories vary so much from the uniformity of the pitching categories. I would have expected saves, for example, to vary from the other categories.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#5 Post by viper »

I think this might be it. Todd has discovered through research that HRs are the single most important category. I'm not saying that they impact four categories but results show a high correlation between the teams with the most Hrs and winning. I have always suspected he modified the category weights to account for the correlations between each category and winning. Hrs must be the most important and SBs the least,

Now Todd can tell you the truth.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

The original concept goes back to the CER essays, category efficiency ratings, which showed how SB are bunched in the middle but spread out at the top and bottom while HR was more linear. In addition, my studies have shown that HR is the most important hitting category to win (Winning Tendencies essay).

The original weighting was 1.2 for HR and .8 for SB.

I have always felt the system overvalues BA to a certain extent, and it is definitely the most volatile, so it makes sense to devalue it. So there is some science and some practicality to the numbers. It also speaks towards how you can't look at them in the absolute. Once you have a couple of speed guys, it doesn't matter what the SB percentage is, you aren't really interested in those players.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

shif6
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: 5x5 keeper, auction

#7 Post by shif6 »

And what about the pitching category weights?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

I have found no reason to adjust those. There are some small tweaks to the replacement fr saves that may be the reason, but generally, the pitching values are representative with equal weighting.

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#9 Post by aburt19 »

This may not be the best spot for this, as it maybe should be in the strategy & theory section.

12 team, 5x5 keeper league with a minor league reserve list.

There are several players who have positive value in CVRC that will not be eligible for the auction because they will not
be on a major league roster on opening day and will be carried over as minor league players (Moustakas, Ackley, Chisenhall,
etc.). How do I make adjustments to the dollar values to take this into account? My first thought is to change the stats
for those players to 0 to take them out of the player pool, but I wasn't sure that was right. I know that for the season
they will have value, but not for the auction.

Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

aburt19 wrote:This may not be the best spot for this, as it maybe should be in the strategy & theory section.

12 team, 5x5 keeper league with a minor league reserve list.

There are several players who have positive value in CVRC that will not be eligible for the auction because they will not
be on a major league roster on opening day and will be carried over as minor league players (Moustakas, Ackley, Chisenhall,
etc.). How do I make adjustments to the dollar values to take this into account? My first thought is to change the stats
for those players to 0 to take them out of the player pool, but I wasn't sure that was right. I know that for the season
they will have value, but not for the auction.

Thanks.
I would use clear contents (or change the A to N for league) and eliminate them from the pool. Then, I would try to decide which farm guy I would be getting in the minors draft and take an end game player at that position. Or, take a regular priced player so you have strength from which to trade.