Minimum players count needed

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Minimum players count needed

#1 Post by viper »

All four of my leagues draft just 140 hitters and 90 pitchers. There is no bench. The current projections have 237 AL players and 252 NL players - roughly. Because I modify the CVRC numbers, I would like to reduce the set of needed hitters - why modify a players getting just 70 ABs. I would like to remove all hitters with less than 100 projected ABs - and maybe 150. At a 100 minimum, this will leave 187 qualified players and 196 qualified NL players. My PPOS pool is C/OF. It will have 29 & 32 catchers for each league.

Will these numbers create enough replacement players for your algorithms to properly work?

Also, How many pitchers will be required for valid results.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Minimum players count needed

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

With the caveat I am philosophically opposed to your suggestion, they are part of the available inventory and thus should be counted....

You will find you adjustments will have no significant impact on the values. Maybe even none, though SB could be SLIGHTLY impacted.

Replacement uses the excel function "large". If you have 120 non-catchers, it will find the 120th HR, 120th RBI etc and set that as the replacement. This is slightly different than how I would do it "by hand", but necessary to automate the process. Chances are, the top-120 of each counting category will be left in your adjusted inventory, except maybe SB, as there could be some speedsters with low AB totals that would have been above replacement. This is part and parcel to my being anti to this concept as some owners may want to bolster their steals and use one of these players.

But if you do follow through with the process, sort by AB or IP and CLEAR CONTENTS, DO NOT DELETE OR CUT as that will mess up the coding.

In general, when working with Excel

SOFT OPERATIONS -- copy, paste, clear contents

HARSH OPERATIONS -- cut, insert, delete
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord