Draft Software

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
jrubenstein
Rookie

Draft Software

#1 Post by jrubenstein »

Any idea when this will be available? Looking forward to playing with it...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Draft Software

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

We hope to have an announcement with a firm date soon. We should know more later this week.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

captgus
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by captgus »

Todd, I noticed that the date for the software release seems to have changed from "January 15" to "COMING SOON". Should I take it that we might have this in our grimy hands earlier than the 15th or has it been pushed back a bit?
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Sorry, not earlier, but not THAT much later either. We are actually firming that up now.

That said, I am pretty tight with the guy writing the profiles and there may be an early delivery with those.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

captgus
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by captgus »

SOLD! I'll take it :P
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

themather

#6 Post by themather »

Hi Guys ...

Newbie here, just had Mastersball recommended to me and look forward to checking things out for 2011. I've used the InsiderBaseball draft software the last few seasons, but find their predictions to be gaudy and inaccurate, so I'm excited there's a new choice on the market. Todd ... I assume there will be a demo/sample to check out once things are nailed down?

-Jaime

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

themather wrote:Hi Guys ...

Newbie here, just had Mastersball recommended to me and look forward to checking things out for 2011. I've used the InsiderBaseball draft software the last few seasons, but find their predictions to be gaudy and inaccurate, so I'm excited there's a new choice on the market. Todd ... I assume there will be a demo/sample to check out once things are nailed down?

-Jaime
The draft software is such that demos/samples are difficult. That said, I am in process of making some last year's content accessible (projection, profiles) so you can at least sample those.

themather

#8 Post by themather »

Todd Zola wrote:
The draft software is such that demos/samples are difficult. That said, I am in process of making some last year's content accessible (projection, profiles) so you can at least sample those.
Understood on the demo front. Really in my mind I was even just thinking a screenshot/description of features type thing.

In all honestly I'm 95% sold on the thing anyway, I play in a 20 team auction-style dynasty league, so really any resource I can find that nobody else in the league uses is a nice little advantage to have. So I'm excited to bring Mastersball to the table and see how it goes in 2011!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

We are working to make the Draft Software manual available for viewing, which indeed contains screen-shots. This should be much sooner than later, potentially within 24 hours. And it should not be too much longer before we will have an announcement on the release of the software. As you will see in the manual, the software is ready. But it involves some licenses and what-not and we need to make sure that process is seamless.

Thanks everyone for their patience!!!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

LINK TO GUIDE FOR THE DRAFT SOFTWARE

http://www.mastersball.com/sample/guide.doc

themather

#11 Post by themather »

I like what I see ... you'll be taking custody of my $35 this week!

buzzm
High-A

#12 Post by buzzm »

Will dollars per team be standard or can that be edited to reflect leagues where auction dollars can be used in trades pre-draft?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

buzzm wrote:Will dollars per team be standard or can that be edited to reflect leagues where auction dollars can be used in trades pre-draft?
While you can customize the salary cap to something other than $260, as presently designed, that same number will be the same for all teams.

However, I can think of a work-around that may do exactly what you need and will play with the software to see if it indeed gets the job done.

brian
Major Leaguer

Re: Draft Software now available

#14 Post by brian »

Our new MastersDraft draft software application is now ready for download from our Platinum page. It supports straight, snake and auction formats, seamlessly using either our standard or CVRC projections and runs on Windows XP, Vista and 7.

As tempting as it might be to install the draft software code and jump right in, we highly recommend you first read the MastersDraft Users Guide. It is part of the MastersDraft zip file and is also separately downloadable here (under item #6) for those who may still be on the fence about subscribing.

We will be closely monitoring a special email address, support@mastersball.com, so please contact us there with questions or problems with the draft software.
Brian Walton
mastersball.com

Andy

#15 Post by Andy »

I'm assuming that this wonderous software won't work with Ubuntu?

(will have to borrow my other half's laptop if so...)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Todd Zola »

I will ask the developer. The best I can do is say that it has not been tested on that platform.

The program runs off of real basic. I don't know off-hand if Ubuntu supports real basic.

Andy

#17 Post by Andy »

Todd Zola wrote:I will ask the developer. The best I can do is say that it has not been tested on that platform.

The program runs off of real basic. I don't know off-hand if Ubuntu supports real basic.
Thanks. It would be a nice bonus :)

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#18 Post by aburt19 »

I'm not the most computer savvy guy in the world. I download the file and basically have a folder. When I right click on
the there is no option to expand the file. I then opened the folder and there were three things in the folder, one of
which was the instructions or tutorial. I tried right clicking on each file and there was no option to expand the file.

I am running Windows 7. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by Todd Zola »

aburt19 wrote:I'm not the most computer savvy guy in the world. I download the file and basically have a folder. When I right click on
the there is no option to expand the file. I then opened the folder and there were three things in the folder, one of
which was the instructions or tutorial. I tried right clicking on each file and there was no option to expand the file.

I am running Windows 7. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?
If you double click on the .exe file, it will ask if you want to extract, then say yes.

buzzm
High-A

#20 Post by buzzm »

Todd Zola wrote:
buzzm wrote:Will dollars per team be standard or can that be edited to reflect leagues where auction dollars can be used in trades pre-draft?
While you can customize the salary cap to something other than $260, as presently designed, that same number will be the same for all teams.

However, I can think of a work-around that may do exactly what you need and will play with the software to see if it indeed gets the job done.
Just downloaded software. Were you ever able to do a work around? best i can figure is to either plus up or discount prices to account for difference. that gets a little clumsy bit may work

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#21 Post by Todd Zola »

Yes, here is what you can do.

When you set the roster limits, include a "dummy" player, maybe at UT. Then using the add keepers, add in a player that you know won't be drafted (there has to be one, we project a ton of players). if your league is incredibly deep, you can make up players and add them to the spreadsheet you use to upload projections.

If a team ACQUIRED salary in a deal, put that amount as a NEGATIVE salary for the keeper. The program will subtract a negative number, which algebraically is adding the positive number, so the team will have additional salary. If the team TRADED AWAY salary, add a dummy keeper with that amount of POSITIVE salary and that will be subtracted.

This should work.

If it doesn't work using keepers, I know it will work if you add the players on to the team in this manner using the regular auction draft page.

buzzm
High-A

#22 Post by buzzm »

No matter waht i set the screen resolution to, I have fields rolling over each other so that you cannot read them or words get cut off.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#23 Post by Todd Zola »

buzzm wrote:No matter waht i set the screen resolution to, I have fields rolling over each other so that you cannot read them or words get cut off.
When you say setting screen resolution, do you mean via the DraftMasters app? I had the same issue and had to change the resolution on my monitor itself.

buzzm
High-A

#24 Post by buzzm »

I think the answer is both. I have tried both screen resoultion options in the software itself and they have the same result. My screen monitor is set at the highest resolution 1600 x 900 I think. I did try and reduce that at first but it did not resolve the issue. Frankly, I am not really keen on changing screen resolution for the app alone since that creates issue with look and feel of other items.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#25 Post by Todd Zola »

buzzm wrote:I think the answer is both. I have tried both screen resoultion options in the software itself and they have the same result. My screen monitor is set at the highest resolution 1600 x 900 I think. I did try and reduce that at first but it did not resolve the issue. Frankly, I am not really keen on changing screen resolution for the app alone since that creates issue with look and feel of other items.
Understood.

This is not my area of expertise. I do know that it works fine on my laptop, but on my desktop which has a 23" or 24" monitor, I needed to make the resolution on the monitor to be 1200x768 or 1200x800 with the option setting on the app to be 1024x768. And when I was done, I would change the resolution back to what I was used to on my monitor.

buzzm
High-A

#26 Post by buzzm »

I have tried most combos (monitor & software) and it does not impact the issue.

paskov
Major League Regular

Re: Screen Resolution

#27 Post by paskov »

To BUZZM

We are working on resolving the screen resolution; watch this forum daily. We may have a solution in a day or two.

buzzm
High-A

Re: Screen Resolution

#28 Post by buzzm »

paskov wrote:To BUZZM

We are working on resolving the screen resolution; watch this forum daily. We may have a solution in a day or two.

That's great news! Thanks!

paskov
Major League Regular

#29 Post by paskov »

To BUZZM

The issue seems to be related to font size. Could it be that the font size is set to LARGE or, possibly, to a percent larger than 100%?

dnm963
Triple-A
Preferred Style: roto 5x5

#30 Post by dnm963 »

I'm in a keeper league, is there a way to show the value of the keeper when you add him to a team? So one would know at a glance if you have extra value in that slot. If player x value is $10 and you are going to keep him at $5, could it show a +$5 for him along with his salary? :)
Always make'em think you are smarter than you are, but never let them know how smart you really are.
League is a 15 team,$260 draft cap, mixed auction with 10 NL,10 AL teams to draft from(rockies, Astros, Cubs, Marlins, Phillies,Brewers, Rangers, Rays, Balt, and KC CANNOT DRAFT FROM). 5 cat. standard scoring except use IP in place of Ks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#31 Post by Todd Zola »

dnm963 wrote:I'm in a keeper league, is there a way to show the value of the keeper when you add him to a team? So one would know at a glance if you have extra value in that slot. If player x value is $10 and you are going to keep him at $5, could it show a +$5 for him along with his salary? :)
Sorry, there is not a means to do this.