2011 CVRC

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

2011 CVRC

#1 Post by aburt19 »

Thanks for the 2011 projections from a non college football fan. It gives me something to look at on January 1st.

One problem that I noted on each CVRC. On the pitching file, I changed the selection to AL and the number of teams to 12,
but the player pool section listed in the blue area to the right remains at 135 (15 team league) instead of changing to 108
(12 team league). On the hitting file, I changed the selection to AL, number of teams to 12, and customize. Last year when
I did that it cleared out the numbers of players for each position and I had to fill in the correct numbers, but this year it
leaves the numbers in and they are not changed to the numbers of players for a 12 team league. Also, the pool size remains
at 210 in the blue section on the right.

Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: 2011 CVRC

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I may have used a copy of the CVRC I was tweaking. I will input the projections into a copy I know I did not mess with and upload that version. It will be done by noon ET and I will verify that here.

11:55 AM ET - should be good to go, used the same versions I used for the final update last season
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite

#3 Post by aburt19 »

I guess I must be doing something wrong.

I took the CVRC for pitching and made the following changes.
1. Changed the league to AL
2. Changed the number of teams to 12.

I left everything else the same. The pool size remained at 135. When I clicked on the click for values, it goes to values tab
every cell says player on it.

I took the CVRC for hitting and made the following changes
1. Changed the league to AL
2. changed the number of teams to 12.

I left everything else the same. The pool size remained at 210 and the numbers for each position remained at 15, 30 or 75
depending on the position. When I clicked on the click to generate values, it goes to the values page and has player in
every cell.

Any ideas that I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

All I can think of is if you enabled the macro

I used these exact versions and they were fine.

Maybe if you zip them up and e-mail them to me, I can take a look.

todd@mastersball.com
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

some other questions are

what version of excel are you using?

Mac or PC?

did you alter the projections?

The description of the problem suggests the issue is not macro related which put me at a loss assuming the player page was not altered.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#6 Post by aburt19 »

I don't know why this would make a difference, but when I save the files before I begin working on the files, everything
works.

Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

weird.

knowing that, I will poke around, maybe I entered something as a formula and not a number or something like that

but I didn't see the same thing

especially because it is happening on both versions

sounds like perhaps you are using a different version of excel and saving it makes them compatible

aburt19
Major League Elite

#8 Post by aburt19 »

I noticed that Kevin Gregg is not listed among the pitchers on the CVRC. Since the word is that he has signed a $10mil,
two year contract with the Orioles, I would assume that he at least starts the season as closer. I understand that the
projections were before the signing, but assumed he would be among the FA pitchers.

It's not a big deal if he doesn't get on the CVRC until the next update.

Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

I apologize, he should have indeed been amongst the FA pitchers. Expect a line of about 4.47/ 1.38 with about 62 K's in 70 IP. I'll have to review the entire O's pen to get an initial saves projection.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#10 Post by aburt19 »

Thanks for the update on the CVRC. I noticed that Vlad Guerrero is not listed among the players. Normally I don't include
free agents in the calculations because it's always possible that they will sign in the NL. But I'm fairly confident that no one
will sign Vlad as an OF, so I feel fairly confident in including him in the AL pool.

Thanks.

ETA: Kevin Gregg also doesn't appear among the pitchers.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

look like I have work to do...

I know why Vlad is missing and he should be there. As should Gregg obviously, but I don't know for sure how I screwed that one up.

Regardless, I will post a clean set this afternoon.

And FWIW, I compute mixed values with free agents, but not AL or NL only. This can be controlled with the league designation. if you are doing AL only, manually put an N in the team column for free agents and vice versa.

Also, the FA projection is park neutral. Once they sign and the team is determined, the engine makes the adjustment.

2:25 PM ET 1/8 -- Hitting fixed
3:40 PM ET 1/8 -- Pitching fixed

aburt19
Major League Elite

#12 Post by aburt19 »

Thanks. I agree for most of the free agents. But a player who is strictly is DH, such as for Vlad, I figure that an AL
team is the only option for him. That means that overall there are too many AB calculated for whatever teams signs him,
but it still gives an estimate of his value.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Duh, I never thought of how his being a DH could impact how you approach it as it actually makes sense to throw "A" in for Vlad, Thome, Manny, etc.

As for team totals, if it is pretty darned obvious a team will be signing someone, I do not have those AB accounted for. That said, presently, I do not have a significant blank for any AL team, 100% confident they will sign a DH, though Tampa comes the closest. So adjustments will be made and players will lose AB. This is one reason we will keep a running total of projected AB/IP in the CVRC and value spreadsheets.

Be back in a jiffy with pitching corrected.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#14 Post by aburt19 »

There are four teams that could sign a DH, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Minnesota and Los Angeles. I agree that
Tampa is the most likely. With the signing of Lee, Scott won't play 1B and will DH. Minnesota could depending how
they feel about Morneau's health. If they do, I think there's a good chance Thome goes back there. Los Angeles could
depending on how they feel about Rivera/Napoli as their DH. Tampa needs some offense with replacing Crawford with
either Jennings or Joyce and replacing Pena with Johnson.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Todd Zola »

I agree they are candidates but my point is they all have reasonable options presently available.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Todd Zola »

I actually think Tampa needs 2 more bats as I don't see Dan Johnson as a full-time first baseman. That said, pickings are slim, with Troy Glaus and Jorge Cantu making the most sense from a platoon sense, though I would think either would play against a lot of righties as well. Casey Kotchman is out there, but he is sort of a "healthier" Dan Johnson and not really an upgrade in terms of production.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#17 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:I actually think Tampa needs 2 more bats as I don't see Dan Johnson as a full-time first baseman. That said, pickings are slim, with Troy Glaus and Jorge Cantu making the most sense from a platoon sense, though I would think either would play against a lot of righties as well. Casey Kotchman is out there, but he is sort of a "healthier" Dan Johnson and not really an upgrade in terms of production.
I agree. Dan Johnson is not the answer at 1B. I was a little surprised they didn't go after Derek Lee or Adam LaRoche
(although the fact that he signed a two year contract at a high salary probably made the Rays decide to pass). I think
they are satisfied with Jennings/Joyce to replace Crawford, although it's still a considerable downgrade. They need a DH.
Leaving contract demands out of the equation, Vlad probably is the best choice. But I don't know whether they want to
spend that kind of money. But no first baseman still left on the market is going to help the offense that much.

I think they will do what the Twins did and sign someone at the last minute to a bargain contract for a DH.

Captain Hook

#18 Post by Captain Hook »

aburt19 - tell me Why Dan Johnson is absolutely not the answer at 1B?

He may not work out - but he may. He had excellent minor league numbers in the Oakland organization and then fell on his face....but as I noted last season, his career numbers parallel Carlos Pena very well - if the Rays have the ability to give him the AB he may well ressurect his career next season.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#19 Post by aburt19 »

Captain Hook wrote:aburt19 - tell me Why Dan Johnson is absolutely not the answer at 1B?

He may not work out - but he may. He had excellent minor league numbers in the Oakland organization and then fell on his face....but as I noted last season, his career numbers parallel Carlos Pena very well - if the Rays have the ability to give him the AB he may well ressurect his career next season.
First is the number 31, which is his age. The number of players who become productive major league players that late can
be counted on one hand. The only one that I remember off the top of my head is Geronimo Berroa and I think he may have
been a year or two younger when he came up. He had two or three productive seasons, which I benefited from, before
he flamed out.

The second is a career batting average of about .240. That is somewhat mitigated by the number of walks that he takes,
which gives him a decent OBP. I know, his numbers from 2010 closely resemble Carlos Pena last year, but that's not anything
to boast about. I guess some teams in the majors, like the Cubs, think that what Pena produced is worth a multi-year
contract at big bucks. But I don't agree. While OBP is good, very seldom does a player drive in a run with a walk.

We'll get a chance to see because the Rays haven't been a factor in the first basemen that are available.
I guess what I'm saying is that Johnson might be okay for a team that won't contend. But the Rays have a chance
to contend and I wouldn't want to take the gamble that I could contend with Johnson.

ETA-If he succeeds, I take my crow with BBQ sauce. :lol:

buzzm
High-A

#20 Post by buzzm »

I am having a problem with the Hit CVRC 010711. I change to Customize and 14 teams. But when I input the position detail in the enter Number Column ( 2 C, 1 1B, etc)...the pool total remains 14. The column to the right of the Enter Number is blank

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#21 Post by Todd Zola »

I need the exact details of what you are entering or you to zip up a copy and e-mail it to todd@mastersball.com so I can take a look.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#22 Post by aburt19 »

Brad Penny just signed with Detroit and I notice that he is not included in the projections.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#23 Post by Todd Zola »

Penny was on my borderline include as a FA list but since I could not dig up any info on him and did not see any rumors about possible destinations, I chose to leave him out. I chose poorly :(

He will be included in the next update, likely Thursday or Friday. As most know, predicting Penny's innings is basically a dart throw and mine landed on 94. He'll get 55 K's and 4.949/1.423.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#24 Post by aburt19 »

One change for the latest update on the pitching CVRC. R. Soriano still shows 35 saves, which with Mariano there
isn't going to happen.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#25 Post by Todd Zola »

aburt19 wrote:One change for the latest update on the pitching CVRC. R. Soriano still shows 35 saves, which with Mariano there
isn't going to happen.
Darn it, sorry. I'll wait a couple hours to see if there is any more word on Fuentes to Oak and then post an update.

UPDATE - done deal with Fuentes, I will update and post. And will correct Fuentes saves too :)

aburt19
Major League Elite

#26 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:
aburt19 wrote:One change for the latest update on the pitching CVRC. R. Soriano still shows 35 saves, which with Mariano there
isn't going to happen.
Darn it, sorry. I'll wait a couple hours to see if there is any more word on Fuentes to Oak and then post an update.

UPDATE - done deal with Fuentes, I will update and post. And will correct Fuentes saves too :)
When I posted my entry, I forgot to say thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#27 Post by Todd Zola »

updated

themather

#28 Post by themather »

Todd ...

I'm looking for your advice as to how I should set up the CVRC for my league that always seems to have higher prices on auction day than most every "suggested" value.

League specs ...

20 team mixed auction keeper
$260 Cap
Standard Rotisserie roster (2 CA, 1 1B/3B/2B/SS each, 1 MI/CI each, 5 OF, 9 P)
Head to head (we use 16 stat categories, so I may pick your brain down the road if I decide to get more specific on them, but for now I'm not worried about it)

Invariably what happens every year in this league is that the top tier of players available go for much higher than any listed values ... especially hitters. It's not unusual to see the 8-10 best guys go for $40-$50 on draft day. Plus a lot of hyped "sleeper" and value picks go high as well (since everybody reads the same stuff) ... so those guys often go in the $25-$35 range (Carlos Gonzalez went for $32 last year, Ellsbury a whopping $40).

Basically you have to take into consideration that just about everybody in the league says "I wanna get one top-tier guy on draft day," so bidding is often fast and furious, especially since some top tier guys are already locked in with cheap salaries (Heck ... Bryce Harper got drafted in our league before he even got drafted by the Nats).

Anyway ... I was just wondering if you recommended any of the custom settings to maybe juice up the dollar values a little to give me a little better insight come draft day.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Jaime

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#29 Post by Todd Zola »

Jaime - the key to your question is KEEPER league.

I assume the high prices are a result of draft inflation, due to keepers being kept at prices below projected value.

There are a couple of "mathematical" ways to adjust, but they are really are not scientific in that they will now reflect the "exact" change in value. They are more an artificial means of increasing the value. We are discussing this in some other threads, and the answer is as much being experienced in keeper auctions and using intuition as much as it is determining a higher, yet arbitrary price.

But, let's take it step by step. Are you familiar with the concept of inflation, and if so, what do you estimate the inflation rate to be in your league?

themather

#30 Post by themather »

Todd Zola wrote:Jaime - the key to your question is KEEPER league.

I assume the high prices are a result of draft inflation, due to keepers being kept at prices below projected value.

There are a couple of "mathematical" ways to adjust, but they are really are not scientific in that they will now reflect the "exact" change in value. They are more an artificial means of increasing the value. We are discussing this in some other threads, and the answer is as much being experienced in keeper auctions and using intuition as much as it is determining a higher, yet arbitrary price.

But, let's take it step by step. Are you familiar with the concept of inflation, and if so, what do you estimate the inflation rate to be in your league?
Yep ... obviously the keeper values jack things up and I do usually just go with the ol' intuition. Does the draft software use an Estimated Auction Value field? That sometimes helps show the "real" value of the player pool.

As for inflation, I'd say you're looking at a top tier set that go for $40-$48 on draft day, followed by the second tier in the $30's and so on, so that's probably about a 15-20% inflation off the top of my head. I guess the true way to figure out the definite league inflation would be to take the salaries of the keepers and put their value against the stated dollar value in the CVRC to get an idea of how much "extra" the league has to spend. I'm guessing that would probably be an accurate way to do it?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#31 Post by Todd Zola »

Well, there is no such things as an "accurate" way of doing it. All we can really do is scale up linearly or non-linearly (I am sure there is a better word for it than that) but even then, it is just a mathematical treatment and not anything "scientific".

The non-linear scale up would give a disproportionate amount of available budget to the high end, which is what you say happens, and quite frankly what happens in all leagues.

I can "tweak" the CVRC into doing this and in fact have a primer somewhere that explains this. The new draft software will not do this in this iteration. The long term plans involve meshing the CVRC with the draft software.

How much of a rush are you in? I am still hammering through profiles, but should be able to focus on this in mid-February, as I am positive that others will share your desire to get "better" auction draft values to guide them.

themather

#32 Post by themather »

No rush at all. Draft isn't until mid-March, I've just gotten a head start on my baseball this year since I happen to be a bitter Patriots fan with nothing left to root for on a Sunday, which is sweet music to my fantasy baseball team!

Thanks for the insight ... it's much appreciated.

dnm963
Triple-A
Preferred Style: roto 5x5

#33 Post by dnm963 »

Todd, would it be possibe to add to the pitching side of CVRC, a page that splits out SP, RP or MR , CL with there $$ values, like it is done on the hitting side for POS Values? I think it would be helpful,kind of a cheatsheet for pitchers values at a glance. I know there might be crossover or a few guys that could go under a couple of different positions(RP & CL) but the bulk of the players would be under the proper spots.
Always make'em think you are smarter than you are, but never let them know how smart you really are.
League is a 15 team,$260 draft cap, mixed auction with 10 NL,10 AL teams to draft from(rockies, Astros, Cubs, Marlins, Phillies,Brewers, Rangers, Rays, Balt, and KC CANNOT DRAFT FROM). 5 cat. standard scoring except use IP in place of Ks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#34 Post by Todd Zola »

dnm963 wrote:Todd, would it be possibe to add to the pitching side of CVRC, a page that splits out SP, RP or MR , CL with there $$ values, like it is done on the hitting side for POS Values? I think it would be helpful,kind of a cheatsheet for pitchers values at a glance. I know there might be crossover or a few guys that could go under a couple of different positions(RP & CL) but the bulk of the players would be under the proper spots.
Later, probably later Feb and into March, I will be posting value tiers which will do exactly what you are asking. There will be updated once a week, with updated projections.

I would have to add another layer of programming to the present CVRC, and right now, profiles and finalizing the draft software are higher priorities.

Andy

#35 Post by Andy »

Problem with hitting CVRC 020411

When I press "customize" and put in the number of players per position (1C, 1 1B, 1 2B etc.) the column to the right of that does not update the totals, meaning that the player pool figure is out of whack (says player pool of 13, requiring a pool size factor of -750).

AllstonRockCity

#36 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Andy wrote:Problem with hitting CVRC 020411

When I press "customize" and put in the number of players per position (1C, 1 1B, 1 2B etc.) the column to the right of that does not update the totals, meaning that the player pool figure is out of whack (says player pool of 13, requiring a pool size factor of -750).
The number of players per position, is referring to the whole league. you are telling the CVRC that you play in a 1 team league that starts 13 hitters, that's why it says the pool is 13.

For a 12 team league that starts 1 catcher, you would want to put a 12 in the catcher position, not a 1.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#37 Post by viper »

It sounds like you are putting in a "1" rather than the league total. In a 10 team - 2 catcher league, the number you put in is 20. If you only require 1 catcher per team in a 10 team league, you would put in a "10".

My customization worked fine.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

aburt19
Major League Elite

#38 Post by aburt19 »

There appears to be a couple of problems with the latest hitting CVRC. First on the players page Mike Napoli is listed
twice, once with Toronto and once with Texas. I customized with the exact same number that I had used on the
previous CVRC. That included changing the batting average to .253 from the number that was shown for a 10 team
league. For some reason, when I calculated the values of players, it put a negative 11.88 in the batting average
column for Carl Crawford. Since his batting average is listed at .305, that can't be correct. That's the one that really
stuck out, but since Shin Soo Choo and Mark Teixeira were listed as the two most expensive players, I figure the
problem is not confined to just Carl Crawford.

Thanks.

ETA: I e-mailed the file to you so that you could see what it did.

Andy

#39 Post by Andy »

Ah, sorry. Gotcha.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#40 Post by Todd Zola »

With the caveat that it will take a minute for the artificially sweetened drink laced with caffeine and taurine to kick in, I will examine and report back ASAP

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#41 Post by Todd Zola »

clean file will be posted by 10:30 AM ET

The batting average mistake was an Excel programming error

Napoli is just plain careless, sorry.

Well, actually the BA was careless too :)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#42 Post by Todd Zola »

Wow, Toronto needs another stick in a big way.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#43 Post by Todd Zola »

Should be okay now,

aburt19
Major League Elite

#44 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:Should be okay now,
Sorry Todd. But the error in the BA column is still there.

When I brought it up, it still asked the question about authorizing links.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#45 Post by Todd Zola »

I am going to d/l it from the site on another PC to see if I get the same issue

ETA -- Just d/l it fine on another PC and it did not ask me the question about links. Can you send me the latest download you are having issues with?

aburt19
Major League Elite

#46 Post by aburt19 »

Sorry, either there are gremlins at work. I brought up the file just before the last entry I made and it asked both about
macros and links. It gave me the same information as before. I deleted it. When I saw your last entry, I downloaded it
again and it only asked about the macros and works fine.

Maybe I'm crazy and didn't see what I thought I saw. Sorry.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#47 Post by Todd Zola »

This is above my pay grade and/or education level, but apparently there is sometimes a lag between when items are placed on the server and when they are "recognized". Maybe you logged in mid-lag.

AllstonRockCity

#48 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Todd Zola wrote:Wow, Toronto needs another stick in a big way.
C - JP Arencibia
1 - Lind
2 - Hill
S - Escobar
3 - Bautista
OF-Rivera
OF-Davis
OF-Snider
DH-E.E.

Yeah, someone that can hit and play the field sure would help. It's tough to see all 4 of Lind/Rivera/Snider/EE staying injury free and hitting/fielding well enough to all play 160 games a piece.

The depth behind this lineup is scary. McDonald and McCoy, yikes!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#49 Post by Todd Zola »

I don't want to live in a world where Corey Patterson is stlll fantasy relevant.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#50 Post by aburt19 »

Dumb question: What does "recalibrating hitting and pitching CVRC" mean.

Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#51 Post by Todd Zola »

HITTING -- The positional breakdown using STANDARD is calibrated to best account for the respective pools. I still recommend using CUSTOMIZE

PITCHING -- Actually, nothing was done. I checked the replacements and they were actually fine.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#52 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:HITTING -- The positional breakdown using STANDARD is calibrated to best account for the respective pools. I still recommend using CUSTOMIZE

PITCHING -- Actually, nothing was done. I checked the replacements and they were actually fine.
I have always used the two pool system of catchers and everyone else. Is there anything in the player pool that would
say I shouldn't do that?

Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#53 Post by Todd Zola »

aburt19 wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:HITTING -- The positional breakdown using STANDARD is calibrated to best account for the respective pools. I still recommend using CUSTOMIZE

I have always used the two pool system of catchers and everyone else. Is there anything in the player pool that would
say I shouldn't do that?

Thanks.
Nope -- that's what I do.

Andy

#54 Post by Andy »

Any changes in the background of this release? Seems to be a few changes in the latest set when I run the CVRC - Espinosa gone from $10 to $0 would be one example.

The one thing I noticed when setting things up was that the pool size factor required for this league has jumped from 1.5 to 8.3?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#55 Post by Todd Zola »

Andy wrote:Any changes in the background of this release? Seems to be a few changes in the latest set when I run the CVRC - Espinosa gone from $10 to $0 would be one example.

The one thing I noticed when setting things up was that the pool size factor required for this league has jumped from 1.5 to 8.3?
Are you using standard or customize? What are your league settings?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#56 Post by Todd Zola »

Andy wrote:Any changes in the background of this release? Seems to be a few changes in the latest set when I run the CVRC - Espinosa gone from $10 to $0 would be one example.

I can best answer when you post the info from above, but I do know...

Espinosa's BB-rate was corrected early Feb so if this is an OBP league and you did not look at the late Feb update, that could so the trick

As mentioned on the download page, the "STANDARD" settings were calibrated to match the player pool for common leagues. I still HIGHLY recommend using CUSTOMIZE especially if your league is much different than a common one. That said, 8.3 is a bit high, I need to know the specifics.

Andy

#57 Post by Andy »

Todd Zola wrote:

Espinosa's BB-rate was corrected early Feb so if this is an OBP league and you did not look at the late Feb update, that could so the trick

As mentioned on the download page, the "STANDARD" settings were calibrated to match the player pool for common leagues. I still HIGHLY recommend using CUSTOMIZE especially if your league is much different than a common one. That said, 8.3 is a bit high, I need to know the specifics.
It's an AVG league. Customised settings - standard league roster but with single catcher. So, 11 catchers, 11 firstbasemen...55 outfielders etc...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#58 Post by Todd Zola »

Andy wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:

It's an AVG league. Customised settings - standard league roster but with single catcher. So, 11 catchers, 11 firstbasemen...55 outfielders etc...
Sorry, but to understand what is happening, I need details with respect to exactly what you are doing. The easiest way is to send me the CVRC, todd@mastersball.com

Andy

#59 Post by Andy »

Todd Zola wrote:Sorry, but to understand what is happening, I need details with respect to exactly what you are doing. The easiest way is to send me the CVRC, todd@mastersball.com
Done.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#60 Post by Todd Zola »

Andy wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:Sorry, but to understand what is happening, I need details with respect to exactly what you are doing. The easiest way is to send me the CVRC, todd@mastersball.com
Done.
Back atcha

Andy

#61 Post by Andy »

Todd Zola wrote:
Andy wrote:
Done.
Back atcha
Thanks Todd, much obliged.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#62 Post by viper »

I'm not sure if this still holds true on the most recent CVRC but if you create two [or more] players with the exact same statistics but with different names, when the dollar values are run, there are multiple $ entries but they all have the same name.

Why would I do this?

I like to create an average player with projection set average stats. They are called Joe Catcher, Joe Middle, Joe Corner and Joe Outfielder [sometimes just Catcher & Outfielder]. I get curious about any scarcity impact - although I know it is essentially non-existent in the C/OF option.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#63 Post by Todd Zola »

viper wrote:I'm not sure if this still holds true on the most recent CVRC but if you create two [or more] players with the exact same statistics but with different names, when the dollar values are run, there are multiple $ entries but they all have the same name.

Why would I do this?

I like to create an average player with projection set average stats. They are called Joe Catcher, Joe Middle, Joe Corner and Joe Outfielder [sometimes just Catcher & Outfielder]. I get curious about any scarcity impact - although I know it is essentially non-existent in the C/OF option.
It is true, it has to do with vlookup against the $value and sorting without running a macro. I have the same issue with some of the lower end players as some have the same exact stats.

What I do is add a really, really small number to the at bats. I'll start with something like adding .000000001 to the first batter's AB, .000000002 to the second batter, .000000003 to the 3rd, etc. The number is so small that the average is not impacted to a significant decimal place, but the computer can tell the difference.