How to use CVRC in my AL auction

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

How to use CVRC in my AL auction

#1 Post by viper »

This is an annual issue and I have yet to figure it out.

MY AL auctions are going up the next two weekends. We draft nine pitchers with no bench. No draft 'em, you play 'em. Not normal these day but more so in the past. Only DL'ed players can be put on reserves. This is a 10 team league. Four of the five standard categories with IP replacing Ks. There is also a relatively high minimum inning requirement of 1100. One or two teams will not draft closers. MRs go real cheap. Potential closers-in-waiting will go for no more than $3. Essentially of the 90 pitchers taken, no more than 25 will be non-starters. The other 65 will be starters or SP6. A quick count shows 70 SP1-SP5.

It is easy to replace the K-column with the IP-column. The problem is the auction dollar impact that all these "never going to be drafted" MRs have on the list of the top 90 and the replacement values used. I've tried reducing the dollars for pitchers by what I estimate will be spent on closers/closers-in-waiting and then assume 70 total SPs are going to be drafted. But I also need to reduce the pool of players by closers and closers-in-waiting. This makes a small pool which has trouble in CVRC. It is hard to do all things. It may be an impossible task - like touching your right elbow with your right hand.

Any thoughts
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: How to use CVRC in my AL auction

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Granted, the way I would handle it is strategic and not CVRC related but I have a couple of ideas to try with the settings.

The way I would do it is use the CVRC simply to generate tiers (SP, MR, CL) and similar to draft the pitcher not the round, I pay the price, not the value. If I want a certain level of pitcher and the market price is $5 more than my raw value, I pay it. The tiers rank the pitchers against each other and give me a rough idea of what it will cost to get a guy in my tier so I can plan elsewhere.

The reason the MR are appearing is with innings as a category, some lousy pitchers are being pulled into the pool, lousy meaning lousy WHIP and ERA. So the decent ration contribution from the MR give them value.

One fix would be to increase the weight of IP while reducing the weight of ERA and WHIP.

Another might be to artificially decrease the number of innings of the MR to a level that negative IP$ drops them from the pool.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

Re: How to use CVRC in my AL auction

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

A few seasons back in my AL only, I used the CVRC to help me apply my leagues inflation in a non-linear fashion. The league was 12 teams and each team can keep 12, if memory serves there were about 80 hitters and 60 pitchers that I had to remove from the pool. This did not make the pool 'too small' for the CVRC to handle. It worked like a charm. Hmm, this might have even been last year. anyways, here's my suggestion:

Who do you think the top 30 relievers will be?? Leave them in the pool along with the 70 'starters' and those 15 or so SP6's that you referred to. I believe you can just "clear contents" on anyone that doesn't fit the above description. Now the CVRC is going to calculate your leagues values based on the pitchers you believe will actually get rostered. This is about 115 pitchers, you need 90, that's 25 extra, that should be enough to not screw up the replacement level.

At the very least your pitching PVIAV's will be closer to their actual value than probably anyone else's at the table. How many of the other teams A. consider this and B. know what to do with it.

Then there is your comment that CIW will go for about $3 max. I think just knowing that is enough. If MB has, let's say, Thornton at $6 and you know he won't go for more than $3, you don't need to somehow tweak the CVRC to factor that in, just know it, enjoy the 'discount' and tack those $3 onto an SP1.

I don't know, maybe you've been given this suggestion before and maybe you didn't like it. But if it were me, this is exactly how I would approach until someone could convince me to do it another way.