Use in a Draft League

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
halos17

Use in a Draft League

#1 Post by halos17 »

I was thinking I could still use the CVRC for a snake draft league and use the dollar value as a means of quantifying VORP. I was hoping to use the dollar value to give me an idea of the various tiers and then make my selections based on that.

My question is this? : Should I place equal budgets to hitting and pitching? This is a long-time established 8-team league with 14 hitter slots and 14 pitcher slots.

My instincts were to bump up the hitter budget because hitters generally go earlier than pitchers, but I'm not sure that is sound methodology.

Any thoughts?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Use in a Draft League

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

All you really care about is relative rank so it really doesn't matter what you have the splits set at. I believe in "DRAFT THE PITCHER, NOT THE ROUND."

What this means is target a tier of pitching you want and take one when that tier is going, as opposed to saying "I will take my first pitcher in round 6."

That said, you can play with the splits in any way you want to produce a list that ranks them when combined in a fashion that best represents how your league drafts. You can play with the saves and either wins of Ks to alter the order within the pitching as well.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

daweasle
Major League Veteran

Re: Use in a Draft League

#3 Post by daweasle »

I tried this strategy one year (2008) where I thought everyone always goes big bats and overlooks pitching - I will buck the trend and try to dominate pitching and then get the best bats left over. final result - several of my pitchers got hurt, a couple blew up their ERAs to all time highs and my final standing was like 19 out of 20.

I highly recommend go with the normal mantra of 3 hitters for every one pitcher in the draft - but as it gets near the end of a tier grab one. You will find yourself grabbing alot of random pitchers at the end but you could end up with 4 total scrubs and drop them for the breakout candidates as late april approaches.