Cat. Weights for League Using .OPS instead of .AVG or .OPB

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
gmatles
Major League Regular

Cat. Weights for League Using .OPS instead of .AVG or .OPB

#1 Post by gmatles »

Todd - Would love your input (or anyone else's) on hitting category weights for a new league I'm playing in - 12-team mixed, snake draft league using 13 hitters (1-C, 1-1b, 1-2B, 1-3B, 1-SS, 1-CI, 1-MI, 5-OF, 1-UT) and 9 pitchers (any combo of SP & RP). All the categories are standard except that the league is using OPS instead of AVG or OBP. I know that your recommendation for 2010 is to use the following Cat. Weights for hitters:
HR 1.35, SB 0.75, R 1.00, RBI 1.10, AVG .80 But for a league that is substituting OPS in place of AVG would you adjust the weights in any way? Or would you just substitute OPS for AVG at the same weight of 0.8?

GM

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Cat. Weights for League Using .OPS instead of .AVG or .OPB

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Bottom line is to set the weights to represent how you think your league will spend.

I devalued batting average due to the volatile and somewhat unpredictable nature of the stat. OPS is a little different in that the OBP and SLP components are a little more reliable and less dependent on luck.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

gmatles
Major League Regular

#3 Post by gmatles »

Todd,

As this is a new league and I've never played with/against any of the other owners before I'm not sure how the other owners will spend/select. I've decided on a valuation strategy of 72% hitting/28% pitching which is about where my other leagues have been in the past few years.

I get your point that OBP and SLG are both more predictable than AVG so I'm thinking of adjusting the category weights to HR 1.25, SB .75, and R, RBI and OPS at 1.00.

GM

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Just be sure not to "overdraft" OPS. Maybe pick out some guys that you say -- dang, I didn't think he would be that high.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

gmatles
Major League Regular

#5 Post by gmatles »

Todd,

Thanks again for your input! I'll watch for overdrafting OPS. And instead of weighing OPS at 1.0 I might lower it to .9 or .85 to adjust for your comment that OBP and SLG are only a "little more" stable than AVG.

GM