New Projections

Ask questions or post comments on all site articles, essays and analysis pieces.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: New Projections

#61 Post by Todd Zola »

Kelly_Leak wrote:
Two additional minor fixes.
1. Garret Anderson - signing was probably too late for this update.
2. Chien-Ming Wang's league is still blank. Needs to be updated "N".
1. Not anymore it's not ;)
2. Gracias
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#62 Post by viper »

the projections have a MIX15 player value. I assume this was determined using CVRC. What were the parameters used? Specifically the hitting percentage, category weights, BA and number required at various positions. Thanks
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#63 Post by Todd Zola »

Same as we have done since Dec.

2 pools, C and non-C

hitting .69

weights as they are defaulted on the CVRC

Is there an issue with the numbers? If so, can you be specific?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#64 Post by viper »

no issues at all. I saw that the eligibility issues were corrected. And that Coste was missing - not being in the majors probably impacts your value.

I'm curious how the defaults batting average was identified. I'm more of a .275 guy but my guess is that it won't sway the results by much if any. Thinking in terms of tiers makes my previous efforts for precision seem like a waste of time.

Knowing how values are determined helps so much.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#65 Post by Todd Zola »

The default is explained amidst the supporting CVRC primer -- it is a strictly empirical formula used to estimate the last place team. It comes from the data of the player pool for each league. It has no basis in logic other than it gets the number close enough.

Changing to .275 will make a big difference. I have the BA conversion at several baselines and prefer that of the last place team.

viper
Hall of Famer

#66 Post by viper »

I need to check out the BA differences.

How are the default ERA & WHIP determined? Is it last place team or something different?

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#67 Post by Todd Zola »

All are estimates of the last place team

viper
Hall of Famer

#68 Post by viper »

Garret Anderson to the Dodgers. Projected ABs tumble.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#69 Post by aburt19 »

One question and one comment on the March 25th projections.

Garrett Atkins lost AB and Ty Wigginton gained AB. Is this based on comments by Orioles management or not?

Alberto Callaspo AB are too low. Rotoworld had a comment from the Royals manager in the last couple of days where he
said that he was going to try to use Callaspo in the #3 spot in the lineup because his was too important to hit sixth or
seventh in the lineup. I don't know where and at whose expense he will get the AB, but whether it's at 3B, DH or 2B, he
will play more than the 273 AB that is in the projection. You don't bat someone third in the lineup this late in ST that you
don't expect to play regularly. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get at least 400 AB and it wouldn't surprise me if it's more.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#70 Post by Todd Zola »

aburt19 wrote:One question and one comment on the March 25th projections.

Garrett Atkins lost AB and Ty Wigginton gained AB. Is this based on comments by Orioles management or not?

Alberto Callaspo AB are too low. Rotoworld had a comment from the Royals manager in the last couple of days where he
said that he was going to try to use Callaspo in the #3 spot in the lineup because his was too important to hit sixth or
seventh in the lineup. I don't know where and at whose expense he will get the AB, but whether it's at 3B, DH or 2B, he
will play more than the 273 AB that is in the projection. You don't bat someone third in the lineup this late in ST that you
don't expect to play regularly. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get at least 400 AB and it wouldn't surprise me if it's more.
re: Atkins -- this was simply a site decision based on what we see, nothing more

re: Callaspo -- my read is that he is filling in for Gordon and once Gordon is back, he goes back to the bench. Getz is going to play 2B and Gordon is going to play 3B when healthy. It would not surprise me at all if they got rid of Guillen and opened up at bats as DH (maybe putting Butler there and Gordon at 1B), but we cannot "PROJECT" that. So the at bats given to Callaspo reflect what we expect him to get when playing for Gordon plus the added as the fill in sub. I don't happen to agree with the sentiment that because he is being tried in teh 3-hole, he is therefore an automatic starter the rest of the season. I think Hillman is looking at the best set up of the available hitters. It isn't even a guarantee Callaspo opens the season batting 3rd. Though it is likely.

We have said all along we encourage people to season the projections with their own opinion of playing time.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/24/18 ... oster.html

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mlb

viper
Hall of Famer

#71 Post by viper »

In the pitcher's CVRC, there is a Texas pitcher named #N/A. He appears to be a decnt MR. Is he a rookie or what? He was also in the 3/18 CVRC so I guess he hasn't been sent down yet.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#72 Post by Todd Zola »

Darren O'Day

thought I fixed that --

I'll cleanup the file(s)

aburt19
Major League Elite

#73 Post by aburt19 »

This may have been brought up in another thread. You increased the innings for C.J. Wilson to show that he is a starter,
but left him with 11 saves.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#74 Post by Todd Zola »

aburt19 wrote:This may have been brought up in another thread. You increased the innings for C.J. Wilson to show that he is a starter,
but left him with 11 saves.
Meant to shift those to Neftali Feliz, thanks

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

#75 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Are you posting an updated Pitcher Projection file or should I just simply subtract the 11 saves from Wilson and give them to Feliz? Just wanted to confirm that all 11 saves were being deducted from Wilson and given all to Feliz.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#76 Post by Todd Zola »

I don't have FTP until later, but that is the correction, yes.

I have concerns that Francisco can make it full a season healthy.

egargiulo

#77 Post by egargiulo »

Where do I access the projections on the site

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#78 Post by Todd Zola »

You need to be logged into the front page with your username and p/w. Then all you need to do is click on the same menu tab you used to subscribe for either the Gold or Platinum Plan. Once you are there, it is evident where everything is.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#79 Post by aburt19 »

I was curious about Mike Sweeney not having a projection. He's probably not going to play a ton, so it might not make
much difference. I had heard he was going to make the team.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#80 Post by Todd Zola »

aburt19 wrote:I was curious about Mike Sweeney not having a projection. He's probably not going to play a ton, so it might not make
much difference. I had heard he was going to make the team.
Dang it, I got so wrapped up in thinking about Garko in Texas I didn't do the associated fix in Seattle. We'll give him 100AB give or take, and considering he likely won't ever have anything more than DH/UT eligibility, he's only relevant in the deepest of leagues.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#81 Post by Todd Zola »

The Seattle infield is sort of a mess with no real backups to speak of with Hannahan hurt. Josh Wilson, Carp, Tuiasosopo...hard to say who sticks.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#82 Post by alleyoops »

In the 4/1 hitters file, the Mix12 and Mix15 columns in the main hitters sheet have identical data (looks like both have Mix12). Guess I can copy/paste from the Mix15 sheet, but probably better to correct it so folks aren't misled.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#83 Post by Todd Zola »

thanks, will get correct file up in the morning

aburt19
Major League Elite

#84 Post by aburt19 »

Just when you think that the projections might be settling down a little, it's being reported that the A's are going to
designate Jack Cust for assignment and keep both T. Buck and J. Fox.

viper
Hall of Famer

#85 Post by viper »

Fortunately, I only have Cust on three of my five teams. Wait, did I say fortunately? I cannot believe he won't get a job but stranger things have happened.

I have him in both my NFBC leagues but I also have players to fill-in so I can wait a bit there. I also have him in a no-bench AL-only league. The good and bad news is that our first FAAB period will be April 11. There I have a week to let things settle.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer