Projections (12/01/09)

Ask questions or post comments on all site articles, essays and analysis pieces.
JP Kastner

Projections (12/01/09)

#1 Post by JP Kastner »

Here is the thread to discuss the December 1st projections. I'd like to make a couple of comments before we begin.

When you try to do projections this yearly, there will be holes because free agents have not been signed. We only projected what we know (or what we think we know) to be true. That means that there isn't a shortstop for the Tigers. We will not make someone a full-time player if we know that they are not just to fill in roster slots.

There are a couple of players that last year exceeded their expectations (Joe Mauer) that were unsupported then (Joe Mauer) and lack a track record of that performance (Joe Mauer).

Other than that, keep the discussion to one player per e-mail. You may list a single player's projections for the purposes of discussion.

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Re: Projections (12/01/09)

#2 Post by aburt19 »

I guess that I'll ask the obvious question. Where do I find the projections? I haven't renewed my subscription yet (I intend
to in the next couple of weeks), so maybe that's why I don't see it.

JP Kastner

#3 Post by JP Kastner »

Yes, you need to subscribe again to see them. We have two options this year. Platinum is the same price. Gold is just projections for $9.99.

JP

aburt19
Major League Elite

#4 Post by aburt19 »

No problem. I'll just wait the two weeks to look at them.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#5 Post by aburt19 »

I was wondering about Jayson Nix not being listed among the offensive players. Other than a low BA, he was serviceable
last year for injury fill-in for an AL only league.

Again, not having him listed is not a big problem because at best he's a $1 flier as an injury fill-in.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

With Konerko, Beckham, Ramirez and Teahen in the infield and Vizquel. Lillibridge and perhaps Viciedo as reserves, it is not clear Nix will break camp with the White Sox.

In addition, I am not even sure I would want him as a $1 injury flier in a league of any depth.

If it appears he will get some MLB time, he is on the list to be added.

FWIW, given 100 AB in Chicago, his line would be .232-4-12-3-15
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite

#7 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:With Konerko, Beckham, Ramirez and Teahen in the infield and Vizquel. Lillibridge and perhaps Viciedo as reserves, it is not clear Nix will break camp with the White Sox.

In addition, I am not even sure I would want him as a $1 injury flier in a league of any depth.

If it appears he will get some MLB time, he is on the list to be added.

FWIW, given 100 AB in Chicago, his line would be .232-4-12-3-15
I had forgotten about Vizquel. That might limit his chances. I figured that his versatility might give him a chance. Last
year he played 2B, 3B, SS (although I would think that his range would be suspect at that position), and OF. I figured
that he might fill the super utility role. The only player that looks to have a sure spot, as the roster currently is
configured, for the OF is Kotsay, who also covers first. Nix's BA is poor, but in 255 AB last year he had low double digit
home runs and SB. In roto, that's not that normal for a player with only few AB. I went with him for a while when
my 2B was down and he was okay for an AL only league.

Spring training will settle the issue, I'm sure.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

Actually, JP and I gave the nod to Lillibridge over Nix in the first run because Lillibridge has played more OF than Nix.

Is Nix worth a reserve in an AL only league like Tout or LABR? Yeah, I'll agree with that. But I'm not sure I want his BA as my MI on my active roster.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite

#9 Post by aburt19 »

There appears to be a problem with the ERA vs the ER and with WHIP compared to the H+BB, because the calculation
doesn't work out.

Just a couple of examples:

Jake Peavy
Shown on the projection-166 IP, 76 ER, ERA 3.638, H+BB 229, WHIP 1.218.
Actual ERA using ER shown 4.12, Actual WHIP using H+BB shown 1.379

Joe Nathan
Shown on the projection-52 IP, 18 ER, ERA 2.382, H+BB 72, WHIP 1.059
Actual ERA using ER Shown 3.115, Actual WHIP using H+BB shown 1.385

There appears to be a mistake in the formula. I don't know whether it affects the dollar values because I'm not sure which
set of numbers is right (I would assume the ERA and WHIP shown are right and the numbers in ER and H+BB are wrong) and
which set of numbers is used to calculate the dollar value.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

on it...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Note the IP and HIT columns -- they look eerily similar....

I will fix the file and get it posted ASAP

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

fixed