Using Tiers in a Snake Draft

Ask questions or post comments on all site articles, essays and analysis pieces.
Milnertime

Using Tiers in a Snake Draft

#1 Post by Milnertime »

Todd, I just read your article concerning tiers in a snake draft and have been enlightened. I have used tiers in the past, I just always broke them down by individual position without lining them up relative to each other. Since my league uses some interesting settings and statistics, the tiers provided here don't quite match the values I need so I've had to tweak them a tad. Most notably, a player like Martin Prado has greater value in my league than in a standard league due to the inclusion of "hits" and "XBH" as categories in addition to batting average. On the other side, a guy with solid counting stats like Mark Reynolds gets knocked down a few spots because he's not only a strain on AVG, but also on H, and OBP, also included in our categories.

The question I have is regarding keepers and whether or not you would personally make a list with just the remaining player pool or keep the entire pool and cross off the keepers before the draft. I think I can see the benefits to both, but maybe there's an insight I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Using Tiers in a Snake Draft

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

This is going to sound "funny", or maybe it will sound "normal", but it really has to do with if I have the time to "clean it up" before the draft/auction and delete the names. I'm not sure I see an advantage to knowing who was kept. So I guess my preference would be to have keepers deleted, but if I didn't have the time, I just cross them off before the drat/auction and I'm good to go.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord