Any chance of using Twitter...

Ask questions or post comments on all site articles, essays and analysis pieces.
Andy

Any chance of using Twitter...

#1 Post by Andy »

...to give notice of new articles? Might be a good way of driving site traffic.

Just a thought.

brian
Major Leaguer

Re: Any chance of using Twitter...

#2 Post by brian »

We recognize the importance of social media and are working on a process that would create auto tweets and auto Facebook entries for new articles when posted. It's not done, but should be doable and if so, it is days, not weeks or months away. Stay tuned and thanks for your interest and support.
Brian Walton
mastersball.com

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

I'm too old for the ever changing site structures. That said, will I need to figure out all my IDs & passwords? Everything is automatic now so I have no clue. Fortunately I use Firefox and can get them.

I don't have a facebook or twitter account. My cell phone remains off unless I want to make a call. I do not know how to text and have no clue how to receive one either. And my last two full-time jobs before going semi-retired were managing a help desk for 400+ plus people and Lan administration. Go figure.

Hope the change is basically simple without too many levels and graphics.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Andy

#4 Post by Andy »

brian wrote:We recognize the importance of social media and are working on a process that would create auto tweets and auto Facebook entries for new articles when posted. It's not done, but should be doable and if so, it is days, not weeks or months away. Stay tuned and thanks for your interest and support.
Good to hear.

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

"Tag don't tweet"

IronMarshal

#6 Post by IronMarshal »

Viper,
You sound like my cosmic brother. I recently had to text at work during an emergency drill. It was required. I had no clue, but somehow managed. Facebook? Twitter? No clue. Anything beyond message boards is a little too fast for me. And my cell phone is only with me half the time and I have to turn it on to make calls. I don't even know the number on it.
That said, businesses have to stay up with the technology. Twiier and Facebook are apparently well above the Mendoza Line of effectiveness.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

FWIW, you old farts, we have been assured that the transition will be seamless with respect to username and passwords.

And as far as graphics, etc., I am confident everyone will be quite pleased with the new design.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#8 Post by viper »

IronMarshal wrote:Viper,
You sound like my cosmic brother. I recently had to text at work during an emergency drill. It was required. I had no clue, but somehow managed. Facebook? Twitter? No clue. Anything beyond message boards is a little too fast for me. And my cell phone is only with me half the time and I have to turn it on to make calls. I don't even know the number on it.
That said, businesses have to stay up with the technology. Twiier and Facebook are apparently well above the Mendoza Line of effectiveness.
Hi Cosmic Brother

I thought I was the only person who did not know his cell phone number. I have a white board in my room which has various phone numbers. My own cell phone number is there. When someone asks for my number, I tell them that I don't know it and the phone is only made for outgoing calls. My wife and I both have had cell phones on a single account for many years. We have yet to reach a combined 100 minutes in any month. Last month was 27 combined minutes. Part of the reason is that I live in a dead zone for phone service. The "can you hear me now" guy has not been down our street.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

brian
Major Leaguer

#9 Post by brian »

viper wrote:...Part of the reason is that I live in a dead zone for phone service. The "can you hear me now" guy has not been down our street.
I had the same problem until a few years ago, when a "pine tree" taller than the others sprouted on a neighboring ridge. ;-)

Re: social media, I understand where some of the folks here are coming from. I still don't check my Facebook page all that often, but there are many who do, including my nieces who live a continent away. It is how we stay in touch because that is what they use. I steadfastly resisted Twitter for at least a year, but finally gave in because of the instantaneous news provided. Like anything else of the nature, you need a good BS filter, but I have found it to be an invaluable tool in my chosen line of work as a baseball writer.

P.S. For those interested in getting a pre-announcement head start with us on Twitter, check this out:

http://www.twitter.com/@Masters_ball
Brian Walton
mastersball.com