Playing Time Review

Ask questions or post comments on all site articles, essays and analysis pieces.
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Playing Time Review

#1 Post by aburt19 »

I wasn't sure if this was the proper forum for this since it wasn't technically an "article"

I had a question regarding the second or third item on the Royals that said they could sign a veteran inexpensive closer.
Is that based the fact that Soria is expected to be traded? If not, I can guarantee that the Royals are not going to sign
an inexpensive closer. They might try to sign an inexpensive setup man, but anyone who's been a closer (Gregg, Fuentes,
etc.) doesn't fit that profile. The Royals are looking in the bargain aisle for a reliever. Their experiene with high priced
relievers hasn't worked out too well in the past (see Kyle Farnsworth), although that was just a bad choice on their part.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Playing Time Review

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Well at least I know someone is reading them...

This is a little embarrassing :oops: , but what happened was I used a template and did not delete out the same note for Tampa Bay, so the answer is that should have been written over and I missed it. I will correct it now and upload a clean copy.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

And the Royals are not interested in trading Soria - he has a very friendly contract that runs through 2014 IIRC and they are gearing up to compete for the AL Central in 2012 or 2013 so they will need a closer if successful.

I see a lot written about why the should trade him or that they must be thinking of it because they traded Greinke, but those writers obviously don't know the situation - including the fact that Soria himself WANTS to stay in KC and be part of the up and coming Royals.

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#4 Post by aburt19 »

Captain Hook wrote:And the Royals are not interested in trading Soria - he has a very friendly contract that runs through 2014 IIRC and they are gearing up to compete for the AL Central in 2012 or 2013 so they will need a closer if successful.

I see a lot written about why the should trade him or that they must be thinking of it because they traded Greinke, but those writers obviously don't know the situation - including the fact that Soria himself WANTS to stay in KC and be part of the up and coming Royals.
I am from Kansas City and keep hearing about the Royals competing in 2012 or 2013. But right now their starting pitching
is REALLY bad. I know that they have some good starting pitching prospects, particularly Montgomery. But unless Gil
Meche recovers from his injury to his previous form, the Royals currently don't have another starter that is expected to
start the season in the starting rotation that would qualify as even a #4 starter on most teams. In order for them to
compete, they need at least three starting pitchers from their minor league system to be major league ready by 2012
or 2013. Given their history with their development of starting pitchers, I not convinced that they can do that.

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

#5 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

I have a bad feeling Zach Miner will receive more than 20 starts for the Royals this season. They'll sign some more warm-bodies too to serve as a stop gap.

My hope is that the Royals resist all urges to fast track any of their pitchers and in a perfect world, we wouldn't see most of the Double-A kids until late 2012, and IF they can translate their success to Double-A, Triple-A, and the majors AND stay healthy, then perhaps the Royals will have the makings of good rotation in 2014 and beyond.

A good comparison for the Royals on time tables right now - the Orioles. Matusz has one year under his belt. Arrieta and Tillman are still trying to get their footing. Zach Britton will probably join them around mid-season too. It takes time and patience and even then nothing is certain (Arrieta/Tillman are both end-game options at best).

B/c Soria is cheap and effective he is a very desirable trade commodity. Given that the Royals won't be competing anytime soon, they don't need a closer when they could get a package of players in return. I would deal him while he's healthy, so I could start developing more players as soon as possible. there just doesn't seem a good reason to wait as his value is likely only to decline and the risk of injury is always there. And one knows the Royals won't compete to re-sign him and that he'll test the free agent market eventually. Often in those types of deals you get a youngster or two who has a great arm, transitions to the pen, and guess what..they become a closer. That's my .02 of armchair GMing.
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com
Rob's Column/Blog: The Diamond Exchange

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

I look at it as "begin to compete" in 2012-2014 and perhaps, if the stars align and 2 arms emerge from the pack as front-end guys as challenge for the division on 2015.

I think some are taking "begin to compete" and making it "challenge" as early as 2013.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

aburt19 wrote:
Captain Hook wrote:And the Royals are not interested in trading Soria - he has a very friendly contract that runs through 2014 IIRC and they are gearing up to compete for the AL Central in 2012 or 2013 so they will need a closer if successful.

I am from Kansas City and keep hearing about the Royals competing in 2012 or 2013. But right now their starting pitching
is REALLY bad. I know that they have some good starting pitching prospects, particularly Montgomery. But unless Gil
Meche recovers from his injury to his previous form, the Royals currently don't have another starter that is expected to
start the season in the starting rotation that would qualify as even a #4 starter on most teams. In order for them to
compete, they need at least three starting pitchers from their minor league system to be major league ready by 2012
or 2013. Given their history with their development of starting pitchers, I not convinced that they can do that.
You have to remember there were some very poor decisions made in the draft and player development in Royals history.

That was then this is NOW - the Royals are generally regarded as having one of the BEST minor league systems in baseball now. There are a number of pitching prospects who could make it to Kansas City (perhaps some as soon as the second half of 2011) in the next two years, so take hope - Montgomery, Lamb, Duffy, Crow, Dwyer and the very good SP prospect they got in the Greinke deal - Jake Odorizzi all have very good arms (and there are several lower in the system)