Week 6>7 Shopping Cart has been posted

Ask questions or post comments on all site articles, essays and analysis pieces.
Captain Hook

Week 6>7 Shopping Cart has been posted

#1 Post by Captain Hook »

Sorry for the delay but "The Shopping Cart" my weekly look at available free agents and other items that would affect rosters/lineups has been posted. Many of our readers have used this before and had good things to say about it.

In general I will have it posted late Thursday or early Friday as that was formerly the consensus as to when people needed to have it.

If you have comments or questions, feel free to leave them here and I will respond to all of them.

PVH

whammer
Major League Regular

Re: The Shopping Cart has been posted

#2 Post by whammer »

Perry

In AL only, very shallow FA Pool- wha would you recommend for a FA bid on Lewis?

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

whammer wrote:Perry

In AL only, very shallow FA Pool- wha would you recommend for a FA bid on Lewis?
:D give me a clue....how many teams?

how much FAAB do you start with?

whammer
Major League Regular

#4 Post by whammer »

12 team AL- 4x4- $100 - steals at a premium.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Hard to pinpoint an exact amount, as the answer is $1 more than the next guy" and only you have the necessary knowledge to best figure out what that is.

I wrote a piece on FAAB for SI.com last week that talks about some general strategies. I'll link it at the end.

But the point for this question is you have to make a decision, which in part has to be based on any keeper/salary implications which you don't really mention. So for now, I will assume the primary consideration is trying to figure out the minimum it will take to successfully get the bid.

Do I go out and get Lewis and take myself out of consideration for the star crossing leagues later in the season?

If the answer is yes, and the only implication is you lose FAAB (no salary cap ramifications, keeper ramifications), I OVERPAY to make sure I get him. I make sure I get the best available player and not nickel and diming others just to fill a roster spot. I either want the best talent at the beginning or the best talent at the end. I don't want middling talent at the beginning and to be shut out of the cross-over players at the end.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/f ... index.html
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

whammer wrote:Perry

I got him last night for $7 and runnerup bid was $3 IIRC

and I think that is about right.....but if you HAVE to get him (I didn't but wanted the upside) then I would probably go to $11......as Todd says it depends on whether you are the hoarder (and whether others in your league are)

I agree with Todd and one reason is that putting a player in your lineup now for 5+ months of play has more value than a better player for 2 or 3 months, so I spend early IF I need the player.

and btw......Lewis was in LF and hitting leadoff for the Jays today (Snider moving to RF and Bautista at 3B)

Captain Hook

Re: Week 3>4 Shopping Cart has been posted

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

New edition just posted (early afternoon here; your clock may vary)

Would like some feedback on the "scorecard" feature added after the recommendations.

Captain Hook

Re: Week 5>6 Shopping Cart has been posted

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

This week's edition posted this morning :D

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#9 Post by viper »

Not sure what kind of feedback you want but I like the concept. I would possibly extend it beyond just one week. Maybe evaluate for the next three weeks after a recommendation. After three weeks, all bets can be off especially if the recommendation was an injury replacement. Also stopping at three weeks will keep the column from becoming unwieldy.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

Thanks Mike - the review of previous week's recommendations has continued every week.

PVH

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#11 Post by viper »

what I was trying to say is that while you review week 4's recommendations in week 5, I would also like to see an updated review for week 2 & 3 based on the most recent weeks results.

I am really happy they come out when they do. Friday may be better but waiting until Sunday would not be as good.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

Re: Week 6>7 Shopping Cart has been posted

#12 Post by Captain Hook »

New edition is posted and per request above and others, I have included previous weeks' scorecards

PVH

Captain Hook

Re: Week 8>9 Shopping Cart has been posted

#13 Post by Captain Hook »

New edition posted - sorry for slight delay

Captain Hook

#14 Post by Captain Hook »

I added a few Important notes this morning :D

Captain Hook

#15 Post by Captain Hook »

New Cart up now

for more information on the three new pitchers up this week, click on link below :D

Captain Hook

Re: Week 13>14 Shopping Cart just edited

#16 Post by Captain Hook »

Week 13>14 cart posted earlier today and EDITED to ADD major prospect alert for Josh Bell, 3B, Baltimore