Quick Poll re: Tiers/Depth Charts

Ask questions or post comments on all site articles, essays and analysis pieces.

My preferred way to view the tiers/depth charts is:

Excel Version
93%
PDF
7%

Total votes: 14

Quick Poll re: Tiers/Depth Charts

#1 Post by Guest »

Your responses would be helpful to determine content going forward.

rotodog

Re: Quick Poll re: Tiers/Depth Charts

#2 Post by rotodog »

As the first vote, i chose Excel. For the simple reason that it allows one to easily reposition players in tiers if we so choose to....PDF wont allow us to tweak it...

Just make sure that it is formatted for easy printing and easy on the eyes...

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

definitely excel for the same reasons.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

I voted for excel as well.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

rotodog wrote:
Just make sure that it is formatted for easy printing and easy on the eyes...
Yo Gary -- 86 the plans to use size 4 wing dings
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

#6 Post by Guest »

For the record, excel is a crappy way to format things for print-ability which is why Ive converted to pdf. That said, we will do the best we can.

ksenor

#7 Post by ksenor »

Don't understand....pretty easy to me?

rotodog

#8 Post by rotodog »

GaryJ wrote:For the record, excel is a crappy way to format things for print-ability which is why Ive converted to pdf. That said, we will do the best we can.
I assumed PDF was a little easier....and I can see why you like it. i am not sure how much info you plan on sticking in there, but whomever formatted some of the earlier mastersball tools like CVRC for the simple tiers by position tab, did a fine job.

That was very acceptable and easy to work with...

If you have to 86 the size 4 wing dings, i can live without those bells and whistles.. :D

#9 Post by Guest »

KSenor - perhaps I should be consulting you for services....I find it a pain in my every day life and in my fantasy baseball life. Everything else, great tool, but publishing...

It's fine, we're going to go the excel route. Save me the time of the pdf's anyways.

cwk1963

#10 Post by cwk1963 »

I voted Excel because I can color code, format, etc to my liking. The only thing I know about PDF's is reading them - nothing about formatting. Before I print an Excel spreadsheet I put in gridlines so, at my age, I can read across a line without using a ruler (sometimes the ruler isn't straight enough either) :geek: .

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

It has been my experience that if I am setting something up on Excel for my own personal printing, it is fine. But for whatever reason, the formatting does not always carry over to everyone's version if I make it available for download. There are different versions of Excel out there -- some convert from one form to the others and lose formatting, etc. Colors don't always look the same, stuff like that.

A .pdf is a .pdf. You get it looking good on your end and it will look good after being downloaded.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

#12 Post by Guest »

What he said - this is why we'd desired to go pdf, but will produce excel.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#13 Post by Tampa Bob »

If you choose pdf can you format it so that I can copy/paste it into Excel?
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

Tampa Bob wrote:If you choose pdf can you format it so that I can copy/paste it into Excel?
As Gary said, we will go with Excel.

But a drawback with .pdf is that it is essentially locked. No editing, no c/p etc.

There may be some advanced versions of Adobe that allow this, but generally, what you see is what you get with .pdf.

Macca11
Major League Regular
Preferred Style: Mixed 5x5 redraft.

#15 Post by Macca11 »

It's probably too late now, but I would have voted PDF. Much easier to print – and read, come to that.
Isn’t it possible just to create a PDF of the Excel sheet though? Just asking as I am Excel illiterate.
14-team mixed 5x5 redraft auction league.
Hitters: C1 Y Molina C2 J Montero 1b A Pujols 2b D Espinosa SS A Ramirez MI1 O Infante MI2 Daniel Murphy 3b J Bautista CI C Headley UT1 J Mayberry Jr UT2 C Gentry OF1 M Cuddyer OF2 C Quentin OF3 D Viciedo OF4 R Davis OF5 G Blanco.

Pitchers:
SP1 J Weaver SP2 CJ Wilson SP3 J Cueto SP4 B Beachy P1 D Hudson P2 E Frieri RP1 M Adams RP2 S Casilla RP3 A Chapman RP4 J Broxton.
Bench: G Richards (P), I Nova (P), D Gee (P), B Roberts (2b).

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Todd Zola »

Macca11 wrote:It's probably too late now, but I would have voted PDF. Much easier to print – and read, come to that.
Isn’t it possible just to create a PDF of the Excel sheet though? Just asking as I am Excel illiterate.
This is precisely what we do (and can do).

The catch is you need to be perfectly okay with that format and not wish to color code it, change a player's position, etc.

Time permitting, we will continue to provide them in both formats.

But it does seem from the responses thus far that most would like to have the ability to customize the sheets.

To let you guys in behind the 4th wall a little, the issue we run into this time of season is providing you the most up to date complete information in a timely manner.

Today is Wednesday. There have been three very crucial pieces of information announced that past 24 hours or so. Jose Reyes has resumed baseball activities, Albert Pujols has played in a game and the X-rays for Dustin Pedroia came back negative. If this info came out Thursday, we would have been in a pinch to get it included in the Thursday night update.

So it is not so much the extra couple of hours necessary to produce and upload the .pdfs to the web site as it is we can wait a couple of extra hours before we "cut-off" the news that we can incorporate into the information we provide for your consumption.

#17 Post by Guest »

I will do everything I can to get both formats out ASAP.

Based on immediate feedback the first concern will be to get the excel file completed.

rotonut

#18 Post by rotonut »

Todd Zola wrote:
Tampa Bob wrote:If you choose pdf can you format it so that I can copy/paste it into Excel?
There may be some advanced versions of Adobe that allow this, but generally, what you see is what you get with .pdf.
It's been a long time since I've heard the term WYSIWYG :geek:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by Todd Zola »

rotonut wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:
It's been a long time since I've heard the term WYSIWYG :geek:
it's just Adobe being Adobe?

Jim F

#20 Post by Jim F »

Todd - I really only care to see what tier Tatis is grouped in don't care about the format. He does qualify at 1B right? :D :D

I am all for the excel route as well until I spend an hour trying to print it, then I will change my vote.