"Probable Pitchers"

Ask questions or post comments on all site articles, essays and analysis pieces.
Jim F

"Probable Pitchers"

#1 Post by Jim F »

I have just a quick question for Mastersball and its members. I really enjoy reading the articles and threads here but before I commit for the season I would like to know how people feel about the in season maintenance on Probable Pitchers each weak? I get busy at times and keeping up with all the Sunday pitching changes or questionable starts isn't easy for me. I have the usual HQ membership (which isn't strong in this particular area at all) and a couple others last year and had my fair share of frustrations. I am not expecting 100% of the time but it would be nice to know that someone updates them over the weekend and are at least making changes after Friday.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Jim

cwk1963

Re: "Probable Pitchers"

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

Welcome aboard Jim. I have been a MB member for quite a few years and have jumped to the contributor side this year. I will be doing the Starter Analysis each week during the season and have committed to having it done Saturday each week. It will actually be posted 2 weeks at a time and will be updated during the week with any changes.

Chris

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Jim -- in what context do you need the information? Daily league to make weekend changes? As a means to determine 2-start pitchers the following week? Something else?

Thanks.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Jim F

#4 Post by Jim F »

cwk1963 wrote:Welcome aboard Jim. I have been a MB member for quite a few years and have jumped to the contributor side this year. I will be doing the Starter Analysis each week during the season and have committed to having it done Saturday each week. It will actually be posted 2 weeks at a time and will be updated during the week with any changes.

Chris
Chris, that sounds great, thanks for the reply.
Todd Zola wrote:Jim -- in what context do you need the information? Daily league to make weekend changes? As a means to determine 2-start pitchers the following week? Something else?
Thanks.
Todd,

I mainly have NFBC and CDM/DC to focus on and I am really only looking to be able to have one spot to look Sundays at the week ahead for probable pitchers. I know this site has MUCH more to offer but this year I am looking at overload if I pay for two more sites (this one and one that has reliable probable pitchers) so I had hoped to just be able to go with this one. I think my question has been answered so I appreciate the responses and will give it a shot.

I look forward to all the great reads.

Jim

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Just to piggyback on what Chris has replied, I do the 2-start piece for mlb.com (a quick quip on all the starters projected to have 2 starts the following week). Because of editing, etc., I need to have it filed to them Thursday night/Friday morning.

As you can imagine, there are some last second changes that miss the deadline.

But we also co-post the piece here and when I hear of changes throughout the weekend, I usually post them in the forum as well as on the piece itself -- that's the advantage of having access to the back end :)

I have not really discussed this yet with Chris, but my guess is we will be watching each other's back, and will do our best to make sure one of us is "on the clock" checking the news a couple of time each weekend, since we will both be looking for the same information.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Jim F

#6 Post by Jim F »

Todd Zola wrote:
I have not really discussed this yet with Chris, but my guess is we will be watching each other's back, and will do our best to make sure one of us is "on the clock" checking the news a couple of time each weekend, since we will both be looking for the same information.

That sounds outstanding. You had me at "checking the news a couple of times each weekend"... :D

deansdaddy

#7 Post by deansdaddy »

Hey Todd - Jim's playing in the rookie league this year. Jim - I'll say that the info in season is very good. I would expect with all the CREATiVESPORTS guys coming on board - the amount of info will be even better this season - right Todd ;)

Jim F

#8 Post by Jim F »

deansdaddy wrote:Hey Todd - Jim's playing in the rookie league this year. Jim - I'll say that the info in season is very good. I would expect with all the CREATiVESPORTS guys coming on board - the amount of info will be even better this season - right Todd ;)
I blame Ryan for all of my added roto costs this year.. ;)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll let JP speak to the in-season info.

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#10 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:Just to piggyback on what Chris has replied, I do the 2-start piece for mlb.com (a quick quip on all the starters projected to have 2 starts the following week). Because of editing, etc., I need to have it filed to them Thursday night/Friday morning.

As you can imagine, there are some last second changes that miss the deadline.

But we also co-post the piece here and when I hear of changes throughout the weekend, I usually post them in the forum as well as on the piece itself -- that's the advantage of having access to the back end :)

Just curious as to where to look for the two start pitcher piece.

Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

Funny you should ask...

I just realized MLB.com never got in touch with me to do the column this season. With everything going on, it never struck me we are about to start the season.

I will still do something for the site and will put something together tomorrow. It may not be fancy. Fancy will come starting next week.

On the request of mlb.com, I developed a ranking system, but that was in-season and used year to date stats. I'll tweak it a bit to use our projections until everyone goes through the rotation a couple of times.

Jim F

#12 Post by Jim F »

Thats great Todd, thanks, looking forward to it.

My 2 cents: I am all for reliable over fancy any day.

Captain Hook

#13 Post by Captain Hook »

There are very few two start pitchers in Week One with a day off......as of now here are the ones I think will have two starts:
Kevin Millwood, Balt; @TB and vs TOR
Josh Beckett, Boston; vs NYY and @ KC
Mark Buehrle, CWS; vs CLE and vs MIN
Jake Westbrook, CLE; @ CWS and @ DET
Justin Verlander, Detroit; @KC and vs CLE
Zack Greinke, KC; vs DET and vs BOS
Jered Weaver, LAA; vs MIN and vs OAK
Joe Saunders, LAA; vs MIN and vs OAK
Scott Baker, MIN; @ LAA and @ CWS
Nick Blackburn, MIN; @LAA and @CWS
CC Sabathia, NYY; @ BOS and @ TB
AJ Burnett, NYY; @ BOS and @TB