NFBC $125 Pay Top 3 Sat league

Find a league to join or post your openings...
deansdaddy

NFBC $125 Pay Top 3 Sat league

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

Okay all you Mastersball members. NFBC just opened up their registration pages for the upcoming season.

I have signed up for my first NFBC Sat league of the year and invite anyone to jump in and play alongside me in this SAT league.

It is a $125 Pay Top 3 league: Online - Thursday March 15 @ 10:00 pm ET

I picked a late night draft (one of few late draft starts) cause I have two kids and wanted to have a draft when they were both in bed for a change.

Anyway - we've had leagues here in the past that included members from the boards - and while this won't be officially a mastersball league there - it would be fun to draft and compete against some of you. It will also be a nice warmup for the Main Events later that month.

If you do sign up for this league - post here or pm me so I know who is in there. Who knows maybe we could even fill this league up with Mastersballers - and if so we COULD create a thread to track it throughout the year making it a sort of subscriber league.

In any case - if you are thinking of trying an NFBC league for the first time - jump in mine and we'll have some fun with it here.

TheRunner77

Re: NFBC $125 Pay Top 3 Sat league

#2 Post by TheRunner77 »

Is this a 15-team league?

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Yes - it's a standard 15 team/30 rd draft.

Same format as the NFBC Classic.

Pay Top 3: 1st $1,000
2nd $375
3rd $125

TheRunner77

#4 Post by TheRunner77 »

deansdaddy wrote:Yes - it's a standard 15 team/30 rd draft.

Same format as the NFBC Classic.

Pay Top 3: 1st $1,000
2nd $375
3rd $125
Thank you sir. Never played a FAAB league, so this is exactly the low exposure, low embarassment setting that I'm looking for.

I'd join your league but I'm afraid I'll be a laughing stock. I might prefer the anonymity of a league where no one will end up knowing who I am. Plus, I'd like to be able to pick your brain during the season whenever I'll have a FAAB decision to make -- how am I ever going to do that with you having a vested interest in the same targets? :mrgreen:

deansdaddy

#5 Post by deansdaddy »

Fair enough. But, bear in mind - almost any NFBC league will have multiple sharks swimming around in it. But I do encourage anyone intrigued by the NFBC to try one of their Sat leagues. There are plenty to choose from, and by all means if you do join up I encourage you to post about your team throughout the year.

These Sat leagues are the best way I think to dip your toes into the NFBC waters. FAAB is a big part of the experience, so yeah, if you are in my league i won't be giving away my weekly FAAB targets, but will always talk about process after. The fun part of being part of any fantasy baseball community (like this one or the NFBC's) is that after a few years you form relationships with various players and it's always fun to play against those people in any format. But, by all means - I recommend getting into a standard 15 team FAAB league. If you ever intend on playing in the NFBC Classic, then you need to get familiar with that format.

TheRunner77

#6 Post by TheRunner77 »

Thanks deansdaddy. Todd and Perry strongly recommended a low-cost sat league to get one's feet wet and at the same time to be able to move up to more competitive levels.

I'll be entering a couple of slow draft leagues (50 Rounds, no FAAB).

Plus a sat league.

Was wondering -- how much time does a FAAB league require? How many of them do you typically enter each year?

I thought I'd be an online player for a while but admit that all these guys posting on the NFBC about drafting in person, sounds like a lot of fun.

Also, can you tell me about the NFBC Classic? What has your experience been like? As I mentioned elsewhere, I find the way the different leagues options are set up by the NFBC, totally confusing. Diamond, Classic, Ultimate, Super. It's like someone got inspired by pro golf tournament names.

Thanks in advance.

deansdaddy

#7 Post by deansdaddy »

TheRunner77 wrote:
Was wondering -- how much time does a FAAB league require? How many of them do you typically enter each year?

I thought I'd be an online player for a while but admit that all these guys posting on the NFBC about drafting in person, sounds like a lot of fun.

Also, can you tell me about the NFBC Classic? What has your experience been like? As I mentioned elsewhere, I find the way the different leagues options are set up by the NFBC, totally confusing. Diamond, Classic, Ultimate, Super. It's like someone got inspired by pro golf tournament names.

Thanks in advance.
-FAAB leagues don't take too much time - the problem comes when you have MULTIPLE FAAB teams that you have to manage on Sunday. That is the main reason you have see the D&H leagues sprout up over there. Guys want to have more teams, but couldn't manage them all. But with just one FAAB team - if you do your research on players throughout the week - it doesn't take that long to put the bids in on Sunday.

-The Classic is a blast. I only played in the Main Event or "Classic" once - in 2009. I actually won a Sat league for a free entry. I have played the since discontinued Live DP the last two years and facilitated ME drafts for the NFBC. There is obviously no substitute for being in the room drafting at the same time as a bunch of other guys. But be aware - the Classic is an overall contest and a totally different animal. You are not only competing in you individual league but against all of the others teams for the overall title. So the drafts are very different since you can't tank in any categories and expect to win the Overall.

-You need not worry about the Supers, Ultimates or Diamond ($25,000 entry fee :shock: ) - these leagues are for the high-rollers and these guys know their stuff. I am intrigued by the Auction Championship, and would like to try that someday.

TheRunner77

#8 Post by TheRunner77 »

Thanks again for the particulars.

I'll only register for one sat league, given your sage advice. Should be a good complement to my D&H, which only require me to set lineups with players I already own. The beauty of D&Hs is that they allow you to enter several leagues. However, evenso, it's not a good idea to be involved in too many drafts at once. I had a dreadful experience last year -- I wanted to draft so badly that I registered for 4 leagues with all 4 drafts beginning simultaneously. :lol: Even if they all had a 10-hour window for each pick, I was going nuts. Never again. :shock:

I think I'll happily cut my teeth on a cheapo $125 sat and see how badly I perform and reassess. So happy I don't have to worry about the big gambling leagues -- takes cojones of steel to fork down that kind of dough. I finally figured out why Greg and Tom are so nice to some of these guys. ;)

NorCalAtlFan
Major Leaguer

#9 Post by NorCalAtlFan »

you shouldn't be scared to join any nfbc league. they are all tough for sure, but if you do your homework and stay on top of things, you'll be fine.
to echo Ryan, the Main Event is a blast. if you have the resources, you should give it a thought. the auction championship is great too.
no matter what you decide, have a gameplan, have a backup gameplan and have a back up back up gameplan. and don't get flustered if none of them go your way :mrgreen:

ryan, i might end up joining your 125 if there is room.

deansdaddy

#10 Post by deansdaddy »

Jump in man - sign-ups just opened and I was locked on that date due to the late 1O pm start time.

I won my semi-final football game yesterday - so if I can win one more game I may just plunk down half my winnings on a classic team this year. If I lose, I won't be able to swing it likely, as half my fantasy winnings always go towards something for the family. So second place means a couple more sat teams instead. :D

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#11 Post by WillRoy »

deansdaddy wrote:Okay all you Mastersball members. NFBC just opened up their registration pages for the upcoming season.

I have signed up for my first NFBC Sat league of the year and invite anyone to jump in and play alongside me in this SAT league.

It is a $125 Pay Top 3 league: Online - Thursday March 15 @ 10:00 pm ET

I picked a late night draft (one of few late draft starts) cause I have two kids and wanted to have a draft when they were both in bed for a change.

Anyway - we've had leagues here in the past that included members from the boards - and while this won't be officially a mastersball league there - it would be fun to draft and compete against some of you. It will also be a nice warmup for the Main Events later that month.

If you do sign up for this league - post here or pm me so I know who is in there. Who knows maybe we could even fill this league up with Mastersballers - and if so we COULD create a thread to track it throughout the year making it a sort of subscriber league.

In any case - if you are thinking of trying an NFBC league for the first time - jump in mine and we'll have some fun with it here.
10 PM Might or might not be tough depending on workload. Where is the link for your specific league? I'll look right now. And do you pay upfront?

Edit: Found it. Looks like I'll be paying upfront. Gotta cover >500 in bills this month so I'll have to hope the time is still available. For my sake though, break a leg @ Football so you can join a different sat league. ;)
Storrs City Chess Company