Different league formats

Find a league to join or post your openings...
Hambowen

Different league formats

#1 Post by Hambowen »

This new draft championship no free agent league from the NFBC seems interesting. Sorry I missed out on it.

Also saw a league that plays 2 seperate leagues. 1 NL only and 1 Al only. They then take the combined roto points of both leagues to determine the winners. Sounded like a pretty cool way of doing it. I am sure this is not a new format but was first time I had ever seen it.

Are their any formats you guys have seen that you wanted to try but could not find a league opening?

lawr
Major League All-Star

Re: Different league formats

#2 Post by lawr »

i actually worked the double play leagues friday and saturday that i believe comprise the format you are talking about ham.

to tell the truth, it seemed sort of convoluted, but, i confess i do like it simple. although, i do like playing a lot of formats, and have done al only, nl only roto, strat, apba, stats h2h and diamond legends, total points, mixed leagues, straight drafts, front office, auctions, and cadaco (anyone remember that, with the spinner and the big fat one on babe ruth meaning a homer?). plus games my brother and i concocted when we were kids.

of them all my fave is still straight roto, 5x5, twelve team. i think leagues like this are sort of five card stud poker to other variations, and well, the stats are to roto what the cards are to poker.

and, everyone has their preference.

but, the reason i like straight one league is because you can win at five card stud with a pair of two's, or with a full house. which really means not only can anything happen, but, it is going to be hard to assemble the winner, and hard to outbluff/outthink your leaguemates.

while i appreciate the notion of wild cards, well, i just like it basic and straightforward (does not mean you think any less hard because it is basic, in fact i think it makes me think more and consider the possibilites, because necessity is the mother of invention).

but, again, it just depends upon what one likes and is comfortable with. but, i have yet to think of a format i did have not tried. i am open, though!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Different league formats

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

The draft championship league is an NFBC satellite where you draft 45 players and there is no free agency all season.

The Double Play are the 12 team mixed leagues that are being done in concert with the on-line 12 teamers.

The combo-mix AL and NL is not new. I play in one that does an AL draft and NL auction with a bunch of NFBC players, including Perry. My partner and I took the overall last season which was sweet considering the entry is $1250.

To this day, my favorite format is a sim game called OOTP. You can sim real MLB players, but we elected to use the format where the game invents players and tells you their skills. You then draft and play year to year and the players mature or regress, etc. We had it set up to emulate MLB as much as possible -- rule 5, arbitration, etc. Rob, Jason and a bunch of others were in the league until our file got corrupted and we just ever pulled it back together.

My favorite aspect was we made up the name of some of the players. Bud Weiser, Tacquo Belle, you get the idea. The game made up the rest. No think of you and your buddies getting together at a bar or game and discussing your fantasy teams/leagues. You name drop players left and right, sometimes others hear your conversation and join you. Sometimes you hear others doing the same and join them. Well, we did the same with this league. I used to get a kick out of people eavesdropping that were obviously aware of fantasy, but them were perplexed when we were using names they never heard of before. Good times.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord