Keepers and trade

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
geddy1001

Keepers and trade

#1 Post by geddy1001 »

Hi folks

11tm NL Only 5x5 $260 cap. Players with dollar figures next to them will be what they would cost next year

Its looking as if I may need to start planning for next year as this year just has really never taken off for me. This league doesnt do as much trading as one would think so when I do get an offer, I want to take it seriously. Someone is need of pitching and is looking at my Lester/LuisCastillo/A. Reed. The only real keepers he has are Alex Reyes ($8) and Josh Bell($8) Should I ponder a Lester/Reed or Castillo/Reed for both Reyes and Bell? I feel because of Reyes uncertainty at beginning of year, I would like to have both. What do you folks think? Any of those combos worth it?

Thanks!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Keepers and trade

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Keeper league deals are what the market will bear. Bell is a decent keeper, Reyes had TJS in February so he could be a contributor in the second half of 2018 -- or perhaps a trade chip if you're competing.

Can't say yes or no without knowing other potential offers, but in general my philosophy is to get the best I can for all current players that won't be assets next season.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

geddy1001 wrote:Hi folks

11tm NL Only 5x5 $260 cap. Players with dollar figures next to them will be what they would cost next year

Its looking as if I may need to start planning for next year as this year just has really never taken off for me. This league doesnt do as much trading as one would think so when I do get an offer, I want to take it seriously. Someone is need of pitching and is looking at my Lester/LuisCastillo/A. Reed. The only real keepers he has are Alex Reyes ($8) and Josh Bell($8) Should I ponder a Lester/Reed or Castillo/Reed for both Reyes and Bell? I feel because of Reyes uncertainty at beginning of year, I would like to have both. What do you folks think? Any of those combos worth it?

Thanks!
Now, please understand ...this is not meant to be insulting. But if you follow what the Funklord wrote, it may be your vision of what a potential keeper is isn't what it is cracked up to be. An $8 Alex Reyes coming off of TJ surgery is by no means a keeper - I had him at 10 going into this year ...threw him back ...he's maybe 3 units at auction next year unless he's lights out in ST... in which case, let some risk happy cowboy bid him up.

Now I find the phrasing you used curious .... "is looking". Does that mean there hasn't been on offer made by him yet and you are spitballing possibilities? Your league may not trade much ....doesn't mean this one should be considered. Ask yourself ...how do these two compliment the players I already intend to keep for next year? Besides, if he hasn't made an offer, it's all spec anyway.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

geddy1001

#4 Post by geddy1001 »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
geddy1001 wrote:Hi folks

Thanks!
Now, please understand ...this is not meant to be insulting. But if you follow what the Funklord wrote, it may be your vision of what a potential keeper is isn't what it is cracked up to be. An $8 Alex Reyes coming off of TJ surgery is by no means a keeper - I had him at 10 going into this year ...threw him back ...he's maybe 3 units at auction next year unless he's lights out in ST... in which case, let some risk happy cowboy bid him up.

Now I find the phrasing you used curious .... "is looking". Does that mean there hasn't been on offer made by him yet and you are spitballing possibilities? Your league may not trade much ....doesn't mean this one should be considered. Ask yourself ...how do these two compliment the players I already intend to keep for next year? Besides, if he hasn't made an offer, it's all spec anyway.
Not insulted at all..As Funklord mentions in this thread, Im just looking for best value for asessts that Im not keeping next year. When I mentioned "Its looking.." I was more stating the fact Ive begrudingly come to the conclusion my team is what it is and the impetus was other folks trying to swoop in to snag asessts for their run at the money. The problem is they want something for nothing usually so there isnt a whole lot of trading activity. When I do get something that is semi intriguing, I do want to bounce it of the walls of the forums something to gauge what folks think. My thought with Reyes was, he is a big risk, could give me something last part of next year, or maybe Im pondering for 2019 where if he can regain some form, his price at that time would be a bargain, for our league for pitchers. If I could get him and Bell it may be worth not waiting around for another offer that may or may not come around. Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks again for your insights!