Zach Britton or Ken Giles

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
mweb319

Zach Britton or Ken Giles

#1 Post by mweb319 »

When Britton went on the 10-Day DL, I picked up Giles to serve as his interim replacement. Giles has rebounded from his rough start and has been providing quality closer material. In my league, I can start 3 SPs, 1 RP, and 2 P (can be RP or SP). I can have two pitchers (SP or RP) on the bench. Looking at my current staff, do you think it would be most beneficial to:

1. Drop Giles and put Britton in the RP spot
2. Drop Britton and keep Giles in the RP spot
3. Keep both Britton and Giles and start one in the P position and one in the RP position (this would require dropping one of my current SPs - see below)

Here is my staff (one of which must be dropped since Britton is off the DL):
Robbie Ray
Jeff Samardzija
John Lackey
Johnny Cueto
Michael Pineda
Matt Shoemaker
Justin Verlander
Aaron Sanchez (10-Day DL)
Zach Britton
Ken Giles

Captain Hook
Major League All-Star

Re: Zach Britton or Ken Giles

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

I would absolutely keep BOTH Britton and Giles

Who you drop is an interesting question

Samardzija just had the only good start of the year
Shoemaker has poor overall numbers - not clear what the problem is but he is not pitching well
Lackey is not pitching well at all

Personally I would drop Shoemaker as I think Lackey has a better chance to right the ship

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

I see Samardzija a little differently. I'll give him 4 decent starts and 2 poor ones in ARI and COL, two hitter's parks.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

mweb319

#4 Post by mweb319 »

Thank you, gentlemen.

I too was bullish on Shoemaker prior to the start of the season, but have not seen much in terms of results.

The only reason I was thinking about keeping Samardzija is the fact that Bumgarner is out for a while which 1) moves him into the 3 spot of San Fran's rotation and 2) I think the pressure of losing your ace can help the other staff members pick up the slack (must be tactful). Also, any pitcher making half of their starts at AT&T is not a bad thing.

I hope Lackey's shoulder is okay. I feel as though he was wearing down last year and he hasn't been the deep inning guy he has been historically.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

mweb319 wrote:
I hope Lackey's shoulder is okay. I feel as though he was wearing down last year and he hasn't been the deep inning guy he has been historically.
Unless I missed something today, the Cubs said they are going to be cautious with all their starters, at least early. though, Lackey hasn't been as sharp, costing him some innings too.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord