Trade Help - Bogaerts for Jose Ramirez?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
upuck1

Trade Help - Bogaerts for Jose Ramirez?

#1 Post by upuck1 »

Hi folks,

12 team roto, 5x5 (R, HR, RBI, SBN, OBP), non keeper. Doing well in batting with steals a bit behind the others.

Been offered Bogaerts and Margot for Jose Ramirez. I would cut Crawford to make room. I'm torn.

Bogaerts seems off to a slowish start in the area that gives him value...runs and power.

Margot is likely a throw in here but also an OBP liability.

Ramirez is off to such a nice start, but seems to be hitting more fly balls than he normally does and with a likely unsustainable HR/FB, though his hard hit contact is way up, too, so that's encouraging to me.

Before the season this would have been a no-brainer, but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts here.

Matt

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Trade Help - Bogaerts for Jose Ramirez?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Welcome! Two things in play here.

First is I sense you're falling victim to something I've written and talked about lately -- the misapplication of the new wave of stats. We know why Ramirez had a great April; we don't know if that will continue.

To me, there's no reason to think Bogaerts, Ramirez and Crawford aren't exactly who we thought they were coming into the season.

Second is Margot isn't a throw in -- he's the key to the deal. We don't know what he is. How you feel about him and how much risk you're willing to take on will dictate yay or nay.

Margot's on base skills are on par with Crawford. probably better. He should match Crawford in power and dust him in steals -- by a wide margin.

Bogaerts and Ramirez are different types of players. Truth is you're not getting your power from either one, at least not a ton. Bogaerts should be a decent OBP guy with nice runs and RBI, with decent but not great HR+SB. In a vacuum, he's a tier better than Ramirez.

Your team, your call. Maybe Ramirez is about to pop. I like the floor of Bogaerts with the ceiling of Margot.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

upuck1

Re: Trade Help - Bogaerts for Jose Ramirez?

#3 Post by upuck1 »

I probably should have mentioned that I also have Gregorius, for what it's worth.

Thanks for your thoughts, Todd....

Matt