NFBC Cutline FAAB

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
roondawg24

NFBC Cutline FAAB

#1 Post by roondawg24 »

First year playing cutline and with only 2 FAAB periods and I have no idea what to do. I can't find any history on what happened last year during the first FAAB period. What do people like to spend on their additions? Do we cut loose any injured pitchers for healthier options even if they aren't as good?

My current team is well balanced with multi position players. I am targeting a weak spot for one position and then looking to add 1 more starting pitcher. There appears to be plenty of you know what you get pitchers still available. CC, Colon, Tomlinson, etc. A few upside pitchers are available as well.

Do we even consider tiering our bids. For instance, I would spend $x on the hitter I want but 10% less on the 2nd hitter in the hierarchy or do we say this is a weak spot even if I end up with a hitter forecasted for 350 abs I need to strengthen this spot so I bid the same for all.

I know this is a lot of questions but Todd said if I posted he would answer.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: NFBC Cutline FAAB

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Welcome aboard!

One of the charms, but also problem of the Cutline is we're all still learning - and I'm not sure there is a best way regardless. Not to mention, we changed a couple rules from last year so while we're not back to square one, there's only so much we can take from last season.

Bottom line is your team and strategy dictates what you do. The key is balancing going all-in with the early FAAB to make sure you get to the Cut versus using the second FAAB to fortify your team for the playoff run.

Last year, I only had one entry. Closers were worth less points, and there were fewer players drafted initially. I had a few injuries and/or players not in the majors to deal with and opted to go strong in the first FAAB, especially to make sure I had ample starters to stream (which was my strategy since I faded saves).

It worked in that I finished first, making the Cut, but since I had no juice left for the second FAAB, I didn't last long in the playoffs.

I plan on being more conservative during the first FAAB, in part because I'm using more closers so I don't need as many starters to make sure enough have decent weeks and are hence in the best-ball lineup.

It's hard to gauge injuries. Maybe this helps -- I'm not dropping David Price but am dropping Drew Smyly, but only if there's a guy that I feel will pitch regularly (haven't looked at the available free agents yet).

Again, your team should dictate your approach. You have to get to the playoffs so that should be first priority. However, if you're team is healthy and productive, it's worth conserving assets for the final FAAB and then go all-in on the best available players.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

roondawg24

#3 Post by roondawg24 »

I think I am in the same spot as you. I found two things interesting about the draft this year.

1. People were afraid to pull the trigger on closers and I was able to grab 3 at huge values. I still feel starters are worth more but a closer only needs to 2 saves in a week to outperform most starters this year. With three of them I feel I will be streaming the 2 save closer to go along with my 2 start pitchers.
2. With injuries mostly on my pitching staff I have been leaning going two starters just to hold the fort down. I have identified my weak position but my gut says there is more upside in the 2nd faab there then the first.

I think the toughest part of this league is this first FAAB period. I built it into my drat strategy so lets see what happens.

I still fear dropping $300 on a player nobody wanted a month ago when everyone else may bid $1 for him.

roondawg24

#4 Post by roondawg24 »

I went 3 Bids starting at the $150 - $130 range and won them all. I was surprised to see 2 teams use all or most of their FAAB dollars while the rest values players about 50% of what I did.

I eventually went with the model of what would I pay in a weekly transnational league and then multiply by 10X since there were only 2 FAAB periods.

Next year I think I only go 5X and save some money for round 2.

Any thoughts on what you saw round 1 compared to last year?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

The big difference was we had five spots to fill, so there were more bids, with more aggressive spending.

I have 4 teams, with, thankfully, few injuries and/or players I know won't contribute to replace. I had a few Smyly shares, as well as Cuthbert and K Marte (surprise, surprise).

I was very conservative, opting to string a ton of $1 bids to gain the additional two roster spots in most cases, spending in the 70's for the other acquisitions. Assuming I don't have a rash of injuries, I'll go hard on 1 or 2 impact type players, then fill in the blanks.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord