Waiver wire time? 13 team 8x8 mixed

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
IronCondor
High-A

Waiver wire time? 13 team 8x8 mixed

#1 Post by IronCondor »

Lord Zola - I did not have the best draft and trying to shake things up before the season. I have Yuli Gurriel for my Utility and Profar as my super sub (will he get more than 400 ABs). I'm hurting for steals and home runs. Do I take a chance on Mallex Smith or Josh Reddick? Reddick should get me more counting stats than Gurriel but Smith could swipe 30-40 bags if he gets the playing time. Rasmus is starting the year on the DL so Smith has a cleared path to playing time to start the year.

In the bullpen, who do you like most overall for ratios and saves+holds: Doolittle, Capps, or Hand? I currently have Hand but Capps and Doolittle both have longer track records. Thoughts?

Thanks again.
- Eli

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Waiver wire time? 13 team 8x8 mixed

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Assuming no transaction limits, churning is usually the best play in shallow leagues. A player's value in a vacuum is different than when he's playing regularly for that stretch of time. Always lean to the guy playing at that time, you can usually replace him if/when he plays less.

As for the pen, I prefer Hand - durable, less injury risk and they'll use the heck out of him with that staff.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord