Who should I have as my last keeper?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
IronCondor
High-A

Who should I have as my last keeper?

#1 Post by IronCondor »

Lord Zola - I'm in a 13 team mixed league that is 8x8 with walks, Ks and OPS as extra hitting categories and quality starts, holds and K/BB as the extra pitching.

I get four keepers and my first three are Correa, Lindor and Verlander. I'm trying to decide between Danny Duffy, Carlos Santana and Mark Melancon as my last keeper. I have the 9th seed in our snake draft

I think Duffy could take another step forward this year and if I draft one starting pitcher in the first three rounds I'll have three legit starters early in the draft and can focus on hitters while other managers re just getting around to getting their number 1 or 2. Duffy also will help me in quality starts (always the most competitive category each year in my league) and K/BB.

The case for Carlos Santana is that he walks a ton, doesn't strike out much for a slugger and has a good lineup for counting stats. One concern with having him as my last keeper is that he is coming off a career year so I'm expecting some regression and I could probably wait later in the draft and still get him. He should go later then Duffy but can help in just as many categories. Since I anticipate getting a corner bat in round one that might be another case against him.

Finally, Melancon can help my ratios and with 13 teams, I will only need to draft one closer in the middle rounds to be competitive. He is of no help in quality starts or holds though, so I'm leaning no.

since my last keeper is going to have a big influence on my draft strategy and roster construction, I greatly welcome and value your opinion. Thanks Todd and I'm sorry to have missed you at first pitch forum in DC this weekend.

Eli

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Who should I have as my last keeper?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I think you have the analysis pegged. It's a matter of what you feel will be available. I wouldn't worry about who's "better", but which points you in the better direction. I can make an argument for both. I agree Duffy is on the verge of taking the next step (something we discussed at FPF). But, Santana is good in this format and in a 13-team league, pitching always emerges (especially with QS).
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord