DRAFT and Hold league - draft advice

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
daweasle
Major League Veteran

DRAFT and Hold league - draft advice

#1 Post by daweasle »

Ok - so first of all - let me say thanks if you reply and give any advice = it is appreciated.

SO I m in one of those draft and hold leagues - draft 50 players - no trades - no free agency - done these a lot over the last few years and i feel pretty confident that with this group of guys we have a good strategy is to go hard on pitching. The last 3 yrs - Our champion has always owned one of the big aces - (Kershaw/bumgarner/scherzer) and at least one more stud.

CAVEAT - this is a separate from NFBC - not looking to win the big prize - but it is exact same setup besides no big cash prize pool - smaller prize pool of course.

Here's what I did so far:

1 - SP Scherzer
2 - SP Sale
3 - OF Pollock
4 - OF/1B Ian Desmond
5 - RP Kimbrel
6 - 3B Todd Frazier
7 - OF Khris Davis
8 - 1B Carlos Santana
9 - SP Quintana

obviously - I have a glut of pitching and aside from 1 more RP - I dont plan to get much more pitchers till my hitting is almost full - and we do start 2 catchers - and I realize my bavg is going to be weak unless I take some guys to offset that

SO I guess my question is - do you think I should go after catchers next
(wieters, Vogt, McCann, rus martin, grandal, ramos) before they all get gone -

or should i focus on some bavg protection first
(L Cain, Piscotty, Zobrist?, pedroia?, Brantley? Adrian Gonzales?)

or continue to try to make up for the power i missed in rd 1-2 with power hitters?
like (duvall, brad miller, jay bruce, jake lamb)

thanks for any help....

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: DRAFT and Hold league - draft advice

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

In your situation, I essentially punt batting average, but don't kill your pitching by waiting too long to the rest either. BAvg is the most tightly bunched and the most volatile category. There's a better chance of punting it and still getting points than doing the same for the other categories. The party line is 120 points per category wins these things, so everyone shoots for 12 per category. Phooey -- shoot for 120 points. If that means 65 pitching, 55 hitting, so be it. I don't track standings, not saying that but the big picture point is getting more than 12 points in 3 or 4 pitching categories, so you can afford a lower score in BAvg.

Sure, maybe get some Bavg guy later, especially since these are as much wars of attrition and you'll organically have a need to use some.

FWIW I see punching SP at 1 and 2 as overkill. Different stokes, not wrong.

With Kimbrel, I'd jump Thornburg up a little. He's a guy you'll use regardless of role at some point and he serves the dual role of a handcuff.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by daweasle »

Todd thanks for the advice - here's how the team turned out so far -

C - Russ Martin, Tyler Flowers, Kurt Suzuki

Corner Infield - Carlos Santana/Todd Frazier/ Ian Desmond??(in a few weeks)
temp - Brad Miller(ss/1b)

Middle Inf - Milller/\
Brandon Crawford, Kolten Wong
Schimp (& Spangenburg)
Jorge polanco

Outfield
AJ Pollock
Ian Desmond
Adam Duvall
Khris Davis (Oak)

OF5 & UTIL = some combination of:
Brett Gardner, Curtis Granderson, chisenhall, Socrates brito, ichiro, avisail Garcia, seth smith

SP1 Scherzer
SP2 Sale
SP3 Quintana
SP4 Odorizzi
SP5 Pomeranz
SP6 Tillman

other random SP I got:
Musgrove, Chase Anderson, Andrew triggs. travis wood
fister

RP
Kimbrel (& Thornburg)
Sam Dyson (& Bush & Jeffress)
Flyers: Glen Perkins, Boxberger, Alex Wilson

ANY AREAS (besides obv bavg weak) any other areas - you think i need to add major depth in the last few rounds? we are in rd 42 i think

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

If available, I'd grab Salty so you have both starters covered.

Starting pitching looks quite thin. Pomeranz may not be in the rotation, at least when camp breaks (though I think he will) while Tillman's shoulder has been barking a bit. The problem is by the looks of the reserves, there may not be much left. Perhaps a flyer on Jose De Leon and/or Brent Honeywell from Tampa -- if other rookies pop into mind I'll post them. But yeah, starting pitching then more starting pitching.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord