need help late season team management

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
daweasle
Major League Veteran

need help late season team management

#1 Post by daweasle »

Ok - so my league is a deep league where we start 2 infielders at each position, and 9 Pitchers of any variety. I have traded through out the season, constantly striving to build an offensive powerhouse and stream pitching to have high SV/K and mediocre era whip.
Now I am in 2nd place - and trying to figure out if there is any way to over come the #1 guy and win 1st place.
Trade deadline has passed all I can do is waiver moves, and continue to stream pitchers -

Current standing:
runs #1 @ 15 points - 36 runs ahead of 2nd place guy
HR #3 @ 13 points - 2 behind 2nd place guy - 11 behind 1st place guy
RBI #3 @ 13 points - I have 900 - 1st and 2nd have 909 and 912
AVG #1 @15 points - I have .284 next closest guy is .279
SB #4 @11 points - I have 117 guys above me have 118, 133, 136,138

Pitching:
Wins - only 6 points with 64 wins - guys above me have: 68, 70, 72 73, 74, 75, 78
K's - 2nd place 14 points with 1173 - only guy above me has 1203

SAVES - I have 8 points - (3.5 closers) - AJ ramos, familia, salas, Dyson
I have 68 saves, guys above me have 69, 72, 73, 74, 75, 81, 82, 87

ERA and WHip - I have 6&8 points, not much hope to move up much in either one - but heck I don't know we are 3/4 way thru the season.
is it possible to move up in these this late in the season and if so how?

My real question is my team is now over full with 2 guys comeing off the DL. Who can I drop?

C- we start 1 - I have 2 (gattis and Cameron rupp)
1B - we start 2 I have 3 (jose Abreu, Napoli, ryan Zimmerman)
2B - we start 2 I have 2 - neil walker and scooter gennett
3B - we start 2 i have 2 machado and headley
SS - we start 2 I have 2 - desmond and lindor
OF - we start 5 I have 3 that start everyday - braun, cargo, Blackmon, as every day starters and carry a lot of other guys who I rotate in based on matchup -
rotated dudes: kevin keirmeier, jankowski(SB) alex Dickerson, Cameron maybin, Michael bourn - that's 5 dudes - for 2 spots - who have to cover OF4 OF5 and sometimes play at UTIL if ryan Zimmerman has a day off.

Obviously I need some SB - and I need pitching #s

pitchers suck - but here they are: 9 pitching spots - I carry
4 SP: dan duffy, gausman, stroman, marco estrada
5 RP: San Dyson, AJ Ramos, f Salas, Familia, Cishek(hoping diaz fails?)

I need to drop a guy to make room for a streamer - which guy is least likely to help me reach my real goal (first place)

*(I also had Edwardo escobar who I am dropping to make room for Cameron Maybin, and I am dropping Mike Montgomery to make room for AJ Ramos)

daweasle
Major League Veteran

Re: need help late season team management

#2 Post by daweasle »

oh yeah i forgot an important piece of info

Its 15 team league - overall standings

I am in 2nd place with 109.5 points and the 1st place guy has 121.5 points.

I think its really hard to catch him so I have to assume I need to either:
A. I can continue to do what I have been doing and try to maintain my 2nd place finish
B. I can gamble - do something crazy and hope to catch him, but if I screw up I could fall to third place.

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by daweasle »

I guess - the best things I could do - it's daily lineup changes so I could add 2 more RP and bench my starters not going that day -
that would give me a couple more innings of likely good ERA Whip in ratio categories and K ratio.

Or I could do something where i add the SP pitcher vs braves or another bad hitting team every day - (which I have been doing but it's not very effective for wins for me not seeming to make up any ground in the Wins category.)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

It's never too late to make up points in ratios - provided you're close to the others. Can't tell it seems here like you're likely to far behind the pack to make up ground.

Points in play look like counting stats. With a big Bavg lead, I'd make sure my team was completely full on Mon and Thurs - that's the way to make up counters.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by daweasle »

Ok one more question if I can - (THANKS TODD)

Phil Gosselin and adam rosales are about the best infielder available - both qualify at both 2b and 3b in my league which are the two spots i need backups

I am carrying way too many OF

Can I drop one of these guys?
Cameron maybin
travis jankowski
kevin keiermeier
Michael bourn

i can only play 1-3 of them each day (my 5 OF spots include braun cargo Blackmon and alex dickerson and ryan Zimmerman sometimes fills UTIL - i like having bourn and jankowski for their SB potential which i could use a few SB.) i guess maybe keirmeir - is the guy to drop?? or maybe maybin. I don't know its tough....whoever i drop is a good add for the guys chasing me.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Bourn really isn't doing much and will likely lose PT when Pollock is ready.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord