Keeper League - Decision Decisions

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
jimmyx

Keeper League - Decision Decisions

#1 Post by jimmyx »

I can keep up to 8 players. I will keep Bundy in my minors.

Thinking - Betts extend for 3 more years to $20. Plus extend, Boxberger and Vogt one more year to $6 a piece . Heaney in his option year at $3. That leaves me with room for 4 more keepers. Thoughts on those final 4, plus my extension ideas.

Here are the contracts:

Player Contract $
MgCabrera B 45
CSale B 39
IKinsler B 28
NCruz +5/y 25
SPerez B 23
CHeadley B 16
RCastillo +5/y 15
MFiers B 15
MlCabrera +5/y 12
BJohnson B 11
MBetts +5/y 5
TBauer +5/y 5
DBundy M 5
GUrshela B 4
JChavez B 4
JSingleton B 4
AHeaney B 3
MKepler B 1
SVogt +5/y 1
JoRamirez +5/y 1
BBoxberger +5/y 1
SNolin B 1
CTillman B 1
TField B 1
CBedrosian B 1

Trav The Ump

Re: Keeper League - Decision Decisions

#2 Post by Trav The Ump »

I'd be very hesitant to extend any catcher, especially an older one like Vogt. Also you might want to take a deeper dive into Boxberger's peripherals. He should be fine but he may not be the guy from a couple of years ago.

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

1) I never extend pitchers (okay sometimes starters if they were on very cheap original contract but have done so well you can see it. BUT never extend closers - job is too fickle and Boxberger is lucky they traded McGee and have no one else to compete - that said a few blowups they will try someone else. The other advantages to keeping him a $1 are more auction dollars and IF things go well fine but if not you will have a valuable trade chip that can NOT be kept

2) I would not extend Vogt either - enjoy the profit you have this year

3) One problem with giving you an answer is that you have not given us league parameters - size, cats, etc

4) IF you can keep Bundy as a minor leaguer that is great BUT he will be on the ML roster and pitch in relief where he will be worthles - IF you have an option to keep or drop at the auction I guess it is okay

jimmyx

#4 Post by jimmyx »

AL 5x5 12 teams. 325 cap, 260 budget.

I'd only keep Boxberger and Vogt at $6/piece for just this season, then let them go after the season or if things don't go well, I might be able to extract a good price for them if I have to dump. At $6, its worth the risk. I can keep bundy in the minors until he exhausts his rookie status (plus two transaction periods).

I can keep up to 8 players. It is always a mistake in this league not to keep 8 players.

If i weren't going to keep boxberger and vogt for a combined $12, who would i keep in their place. Just curious. They'd certainly both go for more than twice that if I threw them back.

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

jimmyx wrote:AL 5x5 12 teams. 325 cap, 260 budget.

I'd only keep Boxberger and Vogt at $6/piece for just this season, then let them go after the season or if things don't go well, I might be able to extract a good price for them if I have to dump. At $6, its worth the risk. I can keep bundy in the minors until he exhausts his rookie status (plus two transaction periods).

I can keep up to 8 players. It is always a mistake in this league not to keep 8 players.

If i weren't going to keep boxberger and vogt for a combined $12, who would i keep in their place. Just curious. They'd certainly both go for more than twice that if I threw them back.
Odd rule that you had them at $1 last year but have to raise them to keep them this year, BUT yes I would keep them both at $6 for this year (I thought you meant extend them for next year)

jimmyx

#6 Post by jimmyx »

Our contracts work like this

first year "A"
option year "B" - same price as A
year 3 and beyond is +5/yr all to be added to the player's contract right now. So if wanted to insanely keep Boxberger for 3 years, I'd have to pay him $18 for each of the next three years.

Any thoughts on the overall 8 I should keep. I'm toying with keeping Cruz at $30 too. We typically have 20 to 25% inflation.

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

jimmyx wrote:I can keep up to 8 players. I will keep Bundy in my minors.

Thinking - Betts extend for 3 more years to $20. Plus extend, Boxberger and Vogt one more year to $6 a piece . Heaney in his option year at $3. That leaves me with room for 4 more keepers. Thoughts on those final 4, plus my extension ideas.

Here are the contracts:

Player Contract $
CSale B 39
IKinsler B 28
NCruz +5/y 25
MFiers B 15
MKepler B 1
JoRamirez +5/y 1
CTillman B 1
Looks to me like these are the best candidates for the other 4 keepers and my remarks
1) IF your inflation is that high do you really think you can get Sale for less? I know it's a lot but he is the best pitcher in the league
2) I would definitely keep Cruz at $30
3) Whether or not you keep Sale I would keep Fiers
4) I think Jose Ramirez will easily out earn a $6 salary playing all over the infield and maybe some OF
5) Kepler - not sure he makes the team BUT if you could reserve/replace him it's a good cheap long term play
6) Not a big Tillman fan but that is a price worth thinking about keeping him
7) In an AL league with inflation (mine runs from 30-40%) Kinsler is reasonable at $28 (but probably not if you keep Sale and Cruz)

jimmyx

#8 Post by jimmyx »

I like Fiers, but I have him earning about 10 to 12 bucks, tough to justify the $15 tag even with inflation.

I have thought about keeping Sale, but I doubt he'll cost more than $39. Also, having players of that high a price wreacked havoc on my ability to deal with my salary cap last year and no one wanted him in trade for the same reason. I am still debating it.

Ramirez - yes, i might keep him. Nice multi-position with some speed.

Kepler - Since he's a rookie I can send him down until he exhausts his rookie status, but not till the second transaction period (that's when we allow faab to start). But his roster spot on my auction squad would block me from purchasing and I'd instantly have to dive into the faab market for a replacement. I'll probably keep him regardless. Too good a trade chip to not keep.

I'm going to let Tillman walk. I suspect he's more likely to earn negative dollars than positive.