Keepers for 12 team points league

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
maxdad007

Keepers for 12 team points league

#1 Post by maxdad007 »

I'm trying to balance between value and talent in a long term keeper league. Inflation starts at 3 rounds and increases by one each year (ie 20 to 17 to 13 to 8). I am leaning towards letting Goldy and Cutch go and have highlighted who I have it set at now. While I would love to keep the first two the others just present too much value. Also since I have, after keepers are finalized, the 7th, 8th and 10th picks letting them go will push better players down to me. Open to everyone's thoughts and thank god baseball season is back.

P Goldschmidt 1st Round
A McCutchen 1st Round
B Harper 6th Round
C Gonzalez 7th Round
J Fernandez 17th Round
J Donaldson 17th Round
X Bogaerts 21st Round

M Sano 24th Round
K Schwarber 24th Round

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Keepers for 12 team points league

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

It's hard to explain keeper dynamics in snake drafts - let's just say the biggest mistake people make is not keeping first round talent in the first round due to perceived less value. Because there are no doubt studs being kept in lower rounds, the talent available for first rounders isn't worthy of a first pick. The delta between players early is pretty big -- it gets small fast. I want top players since you don't just lose the "round value" but the drop isn't linear.

There's no question for me - I'm keeping Cutch and Goldie over Bogaerts and Schwarber. Your team will be 100x better. Don't sweat the perceived value. Go for the win and if things don't work out, I bet you will have drafted potential keepers or you could draft them. With Donaldson and Harper you have four bona fide first rounders. That's too good to pass up.

Flags fly forever.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

maxdad007

#3 Post by maxdad007 »

Yeah I was very torn between both of those options for the first 4, and you're okay with Fernandez being the 5th among him, Bogaerts and Schwarber? Also I did win last year and that flag is permanently in my front yard never to come out.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

In a points league I can see Schwarber -- good call (unless the penalty for whiffs is huge). I like Fernandez- just not sure how many innings we see.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

maxdad007

#5 Post by maxdad007 »

It's -1 for K's, and I also really like Jose. Giving up top 5 catchers and short stops is really hard though