NL only keeper trade

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

NL only keeper trade

#1 Post by alleyoops »

12-team NL only keeper, salaries go up 5 each year, can keep 0-6. Inflation's maybe 10-15%.

I mortgaged to make a run last year. Came up a little short, but this left the keeper cabinet pretty sparse. Here are my keeper choices now (2016 salaries):

deGrom 15
familia 6
krod 11
ceshernandez 6
byrd 16
ziegler 8

I only see the first 2 as pretty solid keepers, so I'm thinking about dealing one of them for (preferably) 3 lesser keepers.

The guy who ran away with it last year has a strong keeper list, and has asked about deGrom. He has 4 strong keepers who are off limits, and listed some others he'd possibly deal.

stanton 33
yelich 11
wong 12
d'arnaud 13
duffy 12
parra 8

I offered degrom for stanton, yelich, and wong. Don't know if he'll do that, as it would downgrade his 6th keeper quite a bit, IMO. Like any of the other 3, in case he counters?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: NL only keeper trade

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Byrd's a free agent.

How long can you keep the players you acquire?

Here's why I'm asking.

Say he accepts the deal as proposed -- is that enough of a keeper base to compete this season?

If yes -- never mind.

If no -- what's the best way to use your assets to get keepers for 2017:

1. Do this trade?
2. Keep DeGrom, have more money at the auction to buy additional trade-able assets to get help for 2017?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by alleyoops »

There is no limit on how many years a player can be kept.

It is difficult to say, as far as if that deal is done, will I be competitive this year. The owner on the other side has a formidable keeper list, even before the trade, and several of the teams who dumped last year will have strong keeper lists. My keeper list, after the trade, would not be as good as theirs. But I've been able to do well in the auction and at dump trade time in the past, and have contended in most seasons, usually starting with an inferior keeper list. I do think that it would be an uphill battle to compete this year with my keeper list as it currently stands.

I have never gone into a season with the approach that I will punt this season for a future championship. I'm very reluctant to make that call even at mid-season, as it conflicts with my competitive nature. On the other hand, I do realize that it is difficult to win a championship taking the approach that I usually take.

If I look at it based on 2017 and beyond only, it's a tough call. deGrom has the potential to be another Kershaw, but it isn't guaranteed, and injuries to young pitchers seem very common these days. While Yelich and Wong don't look to be future studs, either could be. Stanton's probably not more than a one-year keeper, although if he manages to stay healthy (big if), he could justify another year. Of the 4, deGrom's the one with the highest ceiling, IMO, so I suppose not doing the trade would be better, taking that approach.

Thanks for the heads-up on Byrd. Our keeper deadline isn't until 3/12, so maybe his situation, and the closers situations will be more clear by then.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Do salaries escalate?

And, FWIW, deGrom doesn't have the potential to be another Kershaw. Kershaw is a generational type player.

If Yelich could loft a few more batted balls, we're talking about a $30 player. He hits the ball so hard, just usually down and hard. The reworked dimensions won't likely help him as much as others, though if the team scores more runs, Yelich gets better by association (more R + RBI).
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

alleyoops wrote:12-team NL only keeper, salaries go up 5 each year, can keep 0-6. Inflation's maybe 10-15%.

I mortgaged to make a run last year. Came up a little short, but this left the keeper cabinet pretty sparse. Here are my keeper choices now (2016 salaries):

deGrom 15
familia 6
krod 11
ceshernandez 6
byrd 16
ziegler 8

I only see the first 2 as pretty solid keepers, so I'm thinking about dealing one of them for (preferably) 3 lesser keepers.
I disagree strongly with only two solid keepers I see you have
deGrom 15
Familia 6
Hernandez 6
Ziegler 8

Giving you two closers a strong SP and a well prices MI with 20+ SB and some upside.

IF you find a trade you really like but I am not sure trading a top NL SP for an expensive Stanton is better than taking your four players and spending $225 liberally for a two way shot at this year.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by alleyoops »

Thanks for the feedback.

He turned down deGrom for Stanton, Yelich, and Wong. Countered with Stanton, Wong, and Parra.

I countered with deGrom for Stanton, Yelich, Parra, and Duffy. (arguing that he can only keep 6 and Wong's #6)

My logic is that if Parra starts, he's likely to be very good value. If he doesn't, Duffy's probably not a bad 6th keeper, or even Parra as a 4th OF. Getting both gives me a little hedge if Ziegler doesn't wind up closing, or something else bad happens between now and keeper day. Or maybe a little ammunition to do a 2 for 1 deal.