Trade Advice

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
steveymer
Major League Regular

Trade Advice

#1 Post by steveymer »

I've got a team that is already out of the running this year. I've received an offer of Buxton and Strasburg for Kipnis and Kluber. It's 5x5 with 5 regular keepers, 1 "rookie" keeper slot for a player who loses rookie eligibility this season, and 4 minor league keepers.

I have no idea what's up with Strasburg, but Buxton is intriguing, especially since he could hopefully be one of my 4 minor league keepers (assuming he doesn't get 130 ABs this year, or a "rookie" keeper if he does). The difference between Buxton and whoever would be my 4th minor league keeper without him (Jake Thompson?) would be bigger than the step down from Kipnis to whoever I would keep instead if I trade him (Yelich or Heyward?).

Am I an idiot for trying to talk myself into this deal (probably b/c it's more exciting to think about next year with Buxton and a potentially healthy Strasburg in tow)?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Trade Advice

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

How many teams in the league? Are Kipnis and Kluber presently keepers? Are there salaries involved? How long can you keep players? Does Buxton convert to a regular keeper after 130 AB (not this year but going forward after this year)?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

steveymer
Major League Regular

#3 Post by steveymer »

15 team league. No salaries involved. Kluber and Kipnis were keepers this year, but there's no limit on how long you can keep someone. The year Buxton surpasses 130 abs he could be kept as "rookie keeper" (or a regular keeper if you have someone else you want to designate as your rookie keeper). In all years after that, he could be kept as a regular keeper.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

OK -- cool. Who are your top 6 or 7 regular keepers as of now.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

steveymer
Major League Regular

#5 Post by steveymer »

Sorry for not including that last time.

Thanks for your help!

Right now, potential regular keepers are:

Kipnis
Kluber
Hosmer
Machado
Boagerts
Yelich
Heyward
or one of the below if I end up with multiple good "rookie keepers"

My rookie keeper will probably be Swihart, unless Ken Giles turns things around and has the closer's job going into next year (or Bradley *really* turns things around ... or Gallo if he stays up for 130 AB). Billy Burns is another possibility.

Potential minors keepers are Gallo (assuming he doesn't get 130 AB), Aaron Nola, Micah Johnson, Matt Wisler, Jake Thompson.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

No brainer for me - no way I do this deal. None.

To be (brutally) honest, your keepers are weak -- not a single first or second rounder in a 15-team league. Kluber and Kipnis are maybe 3rd rounders. Then I don't see another top-75 guy on your team. Machado, Bogaerts and Hosmer are close, but not there.

steveymer
Major League Regular

#7 Post by steveymer »

Thanks. I lost a couple top 20ish players in 1 for 3 type deals that helped me win the league two years ago. I'm (desperately) trying to reverse that now by packaging 1 or 2 of the players listed along with rental type players for a top keeper, but no dice so far. When this offer came in I thought maybe I'd change tracks and try to improve minor league squad instead, but apparently this isn't the way to do it. Thanks for setting me straight!