Dynasty AL Only Advice

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
RandyKutcherHair

Dynasty AL Only Advice

#1 Post by RandyKutcherHair »

Big Question going into my dynasty AL Only league draft. With one of the first picks I will have a shot at some quality minor leaguers as well as all the Astros coming into the AL. We each have a 12 man farm team. Do I go after Altuve or should I target a top minor league prospect like Addison Russell? Word is Buxton and Correra are going off the board ahead of me. I have Ackley at 2b now; but could be looking to trade him before the season. I know Altuve can be of help; but have read nothing but glowing reviews on Russell who sounds like a potential stud at a premium position. What do you guys think?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Dynasty AL Only Advice

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

It's more of a win-now or be better later question. If you feel Altuve plus whoever you get for Ackley improves your chances to win this season,and winning this season is your goal, my philosophy is to go for it.

Russell JUST turned 19 and is a few years away, not to mention could be shifted to third so if the shortstop eligibility is your prime motivation, you may want to reconsider.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

I would take Altuve

There are plenty of really good young players for you to draft after that (and I just listed 138 of them)

RandyKutcherHair

#4 Post by RandyKutcherHair »

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. Shopped Ackley a bit today and didn't get offered much in return; mid round pick or low end starter. If I have my utility spot open is Altuve a strong enough player to fit in there?

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

RandyKutcherHair wrote:Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. Shopped Ackley a bit today and didn't get offered much in return; mid round pick or low end starter. If I have my utility spot open is Altuve a strong enough player to fit in there?
not bloody likely but who are your 2B and MI?

Frankly I would take Altuve over Ackley (and I was an Ackley lover coming out of college)

RandyKutcherHair

#6 Post by RandyKutcherHair »

Ackley and Beckham are my 2b and MI.

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

RandyKutcherHair wrote:Ackley and Beckham are my 2b and MI.
Take Altuve and dump Beckham

RandyKutcherHair

#8 Post by RandyKutcherHair »

Obviously I have attachment issues. Hopefully Beckham still has some trade value.

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

RandyKutcherHair wrote:Obviously I have attachment issues. Hopefully Beckham still has some trade value.
for your sake I would lose them .... Carlos Sanchez is not far away