Keepers

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
outlawseal1

Keepers

#1 Post by outlawseal1 »

Hey Guys,

I play in 12 team keeper league. We are allowed to keep 1 hitter, 1 pitcher and 1 either hitter or pitcher. Does any one have any thoughts on who to keep from the following: A-Rod (yes him for sure), D. Haren, M. Scherzer, J.Upton, K. Morales, B. Philips, or B. Posey. Thanks in advance.

Outlawseal

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Keepers

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

1) How many catchers do you start?

2) Do you get to keep the players forever or is there a term limit?

My pitcher is Haren.

The hitter is between Upton and Posey, with the lean to Upton.

Keeping players forever and starting 2 catchers, I would not argue with Posey.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Definitely Haren for the Pitcher.

Then you need to choose 2 from:
ARod
Morales
Upton
Posey

ARod - WYSIWYG and that is still really really good, even in decline
Morales - If we knew for sure he'd be 100% in April, he would be my 1st choice (hands-down)
Upton - Probably last of the 4 for me
Posey - if it's a 2C league and you can keep guys for a long time, he would be a keeper

so in a 1 catcher league: Haren, ARod, Kendry

in a 2 catcher league: Haren, Posey, and then ARod vs Kendry

Kendry was leading the AL in HR and RBI (or damn close to it) when he got hurt, he was also hitting 290. I expect more of the same this year, but there is some health risk

ARod is declining, but still top tier, he also has some health risk, maybe about the same as Kendry's, so let's call their overall health risk a wash.

Do you want Kenry's upside, or ARod' stability?? In a keeper league, I go for the guy that could very well be right there with Miggy/Gonzalez/Tex in the hierarchy of AL 1B come september

I'd go: Haren, Posey and Kendry in that format, but its really close and Arod would be fine. I suspect any other posts will favor ARod, but this game wouldn't be any fun if we all valued players the same.

good luck

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

I have no dispute with ARC's analysis, to me it is more a strategic thing revolving around the availability of 1B and the likelihood of getting one of quality. I should have been more clear as to my reasoning with Upton but it is that he has the potential to replace ARod as your perpetual hitting keeper, but then so does Morales.

Suggesting Upton goes against my "win now, worry about tomorrow" approach.

I do think, however, ARod is still a definite in the "win now" vein, it is now a 3-way battle for the second hitter with Morales in the mix.

FWIW, if there is ever a year where you are out of it and trading is allowed, I would do all I could to get a top-3 starting pitcher. The reason is there will only be 3 or 4 teams freezing a SP that would normally be drafted in the first 3 rounds so you would be at a competitive advantage if you could also find 2 hitters also drafted in the first 3 rounds to keep and it will be easier to find the hitters than the pitchers since the supply is greater.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

outlawseal1

#5 Post by outlawseal1 »

Sorry guys, should have noted it is 1 catcher league and you can kep guys forever.

I was thinking A rod as the #1 keep because 3b is so thin.

Thanks for the input.

Rick the outlaw seal.