Keepers advice needed

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Captain Hook

Re: Keepers advice needed

#41 Post by Captain Hook »

Nafi wrote:Trade is done. Kinda like my team now with two middlemen going into the draft.

1- Albert Pujols 1B LAA
2- Cliff Lee SP PHI
3- Roy Halladay SP PHI
4- Jose Bautista OF TOR
5 - Dustin Pedroia, 2B, BOS
6 - Dylan Bundy, P, BAL
7 - Ian Kinsler, 2B TEX
M- Oscar Taveras, OF STL
Looks Good

tylertoo

#42 Post by tylertoo »

Hello all. Seeking keeper advice on two separate Roto Leagues.

League One: Standard 5x5 Mixed League, auction draft w/$260. Three Keepers at twice their previous year's salaries. FA's claimed in FAAB are held at twice their FAAB auction price.

I'm keeping Trout and Harper each at $2 (I got both in the two-round reserve snake draft at the end of last year's auction :) ). Who's my third keeper?

Machado $2
B. Hamilton $2
Matt Harvey $2
Wade Miley $6
J. Zimmerman $18
Gio $22

Leaning toward Hamilton even if he doesn't get called up until Sept. (could be kept at $4 in '14).

League Two: 6x6 Mixed (standard categories + OBP and QS). Snake draft. Three keepers kept at their previous year's draft position, FAs kept at 23rd round (or prior rounds if multiple). Can't keep previous year's keepers.

Posey (4th round)
Utley (22nd round)
Adam Dunn (23rd round)
Machado FA
B. Hamilton FA
Altuve FA

Need three here. Leaning toward Utley, Dunn, Hamilton.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Captain Hook

#43 Post by Captain Hook »

LEAGUE ONE - I like the long term view on Billy Hamilton AS LONG AS you can easily replace him otherwise the roster spot is costing you

LEAGUE TWO - I don't understand your situation here (copying)

Posey (4th round)
Utley (22nd round)
Adam Dunn (23rd round)
Machado FA
B. Hamilton FA
Altuve FA

Need three here. Leaning toward Utley, Dunn, Hamilton

WHY wouldn't you keep your best players? IMO would be Posey, Altuve, and either Utley or Dunn

OR Keep the most valuable? IMO Altuve and two of Utley/Dunn/Machado

I think you should be keeping Altuve

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#44 Post by Todd Zola »

tylertoo wrote:Hello all. Seeking keeper advice on two separate Roto Leagues.

League One: Standard 5x5 Mixed League, auction draft w/$260. Three Keepers at twice their previous year's salaries. FA's claimed in FAAB are held at twice their FAAB auction price.

I'm keeping Trout and Harper each at $2 (I got both in the two-round reserve snake draft at the end of last year's auction :) ). Who's my third keeper?

Machado $2
B. Hamilton $2
Matt Harvey $2
Wade Miley $6
J. Zimmerman $18
Gio $22

Leaning toward Hamilton even if he doesn't get called up until Sept. (could be kept at $4 in '14).

League Two: 6x6 Mixed (standard categories + OBP and QS). Snake draft. Three keepers kept at their previous year's draft position, FAs kept at 23rd round (or prior rounds if multiple). Can't keep previous year's keepers.

Posey (4th round)
Utley (22nd round)
Adam Dunn (23rd round)
Machado FA
B. Hamilton FA
Altuve FA

Need three here. Leaning toward Utley, Dunn, Hamilton.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
1. Machado or Harvey. You obviously have a liking for owning the next big thing and it paid off with Trout and Harper - quit while you're (WAYYYY) ahead. You don't need Hamilton's steals to win - in fact many will find it is going to hurt them from a fantasy sense and not help. Guessing mine won't be the popular view - your team, your call.

2. In a 2-catcher league, Posey no doubt. Without knowing how many teams in the league it's hard to tell otherwise. But again, you don't need Hamilton. I'd MUCH prefer Altuve.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

tylertoo

#45 Post by tylertoo »

Gentlemen, thanks for the quick replies.
Captain Hook wrote:LEAGUE TWO - I don't understand your situation here (copying)

Posey (4th round)
Utley (22nd round)
Adam Dunn (23rd round)
Machado FA
B. Hamilton FA
Altuve FA

Need three here. Leaning toward Utley, Dunn, Hamilton

WHY wouldn't you keep your best players? IMO would be Posey, Altuve, and either Utley or Dunn

OR Keep the most valuable? IMO Altuve and two of Utley/Dunn/Machado

I think you should be keeping Altuve
I take it what you mean is by 'don't understand' is why keep Hamilton if I can't keep him beyond '13. Good point. Wasn't thinking that through, I guess, plus I'm in love with the idea of him winning SB all by himself ;). I'll go with one of your suggestions instead, probably Altuve/Utley/Machado. Thanks again.
Todd Zola wrote:1. Machado or Harvey. You obviously have a liking for owning the next big thing and it paid off with Trout and Harper - quit while you're (WAYYYY) ahead. You don't need Hamilton's steals to win - in fact many will find it is going to hurt them from a fantasy sense and not help. Guessing mine won't be the popular view - your team, your call.

2. In a 2-catcher league, Posey no doubt. Without knowing how many teams in the league it's hard to tell otherwise. But again, you don't need Hamilton. I'd MUCH prefer Altuve.
Thanks Todd. Both are ten teams mixed, with two catchers. I'll give keeping Posey more thought.

Enjoy hearing you on the Baseball HQ podcast!

BloodStripes

#46 Post by BloodStripes »

Hello everyone. Just started my subscription. What a great site. May as well use it to the fullest with a question.

12 Team 6 x 6 roto. Total Bases and Holds the extras.

Get to keep 6 players.

There are no pitchers worth keeping. One catcher league but there are 3 to choose from. Don't know why I just inherited the team.

I was going to choose my 6 from the following hitters:

Adam Jones
Jay Bruce
Brett Lawrie
Carlos Santana
Asdrubal Cabrera

Yadier Molina
Jose Altuve
Nelson Cruz
Konerko
Hosmer
Ethier
Sal Perez

I'm thinking the top 5 I listed then either Altuve or Cruz. Add Cruz maybe to go with a full OF with pop? (Yahoo league, 3 OF)

Or Altuve for the speed and fill 2B?

Who would be your 6?

Would appreciate any input.

Thank you

Captain Hook

#47 Post by Captain Hook »

Interesting .......short on time this morning but first thoughts are

1) Altuve definitely needs to be one of your keepers (as you said both pos/sb considerations)

2) After you do keepers is it a live draft or auto draft?
I hate Yahoo auto drafts but would keep a C if that was the case.
In a regular draft where there are only twelve C drafted it might be right to keep a better player and then just get one of your catchers back .... BUT while Santana teases with the HR breakout, Molina has higher value (but that is on 5 cats would have to re-run with TB added)

Let me know regular draft or auto draft and Todd will weigh in next week, he is on First Pitch tour this weekend.

BloodStripes

#48 Post by BloodStripes »

Thanks Captain. Will keep Altuve.

Draft is live