Too many OF, not enough SP..overall roster advice

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
gr8hambin0
High-A

Too many OF, not enough SP..overall roster advice

#1 Post by gr8hambin0 »

I drafted Thor, Price, Rich Hill and Cole Hamels. So, you can imagine the patchwork staff I am working with now. I've dropped Hill completely, the other 3 are on my DL.

ESPN, 8 team league, we can have a max of 8 RP and 8 SP. We have a minimum of 7 games started (GS) by a SP each week for ERA and WHIP to count. I'm currently in 1st place.

Offensive categories: R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG

Pitching Categories: QS, ERA, WHIP, K/9, KBB, SVHD

The roster

C - Lucroy
1B - Freeman
2B - Dozier
3B - Arenado
SS - Diaz
2B/SS - Carpenter
1B/3B - Rendon
OF - Harper
OF - Thames
OF - JD Martinez
OF - Polanco
UTIL - Chris Davis
UTIL - Schwarber
BE - Desmond
BE - Puig
BE - Gyorko

SP - Darvish, E. Santana, R. Ray, Triggs, Lynn (Thor, Price, Hamels on DL)

RP - Jansen, Betances, Iglesias, Devenski, Norris, Kahnle, Swarzak

I dropped Uehara today to pick up Corbin because of the min GS. And Price will be coming back soon, so I'll need to find someone to drop or trade.

I have a really hard time dropping any of the offensive guys because their RoS projections look good. Should I be less concerned about the projections?

I am also hesitant to drop Triggs or Lynn because free agency is slim pickin's for SP. Best options out there are Alex Wood (considered a RP), Walker, Gausman, Shoemaker, Velasquez, Senzatela, Morton, Graveman & maybe a couple more.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Too many OF, not enough SP..overall roster advice

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

In a league this shallow, don't get married to a fringe pitcher, especially with scoring tailored to high K middle relievers.

Same goes for hitters -- churn away, there will always be someone to pick up.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

I agree with Todd

I would pick up Shoemaker (although others may after last start) as he has been inconsistent so far but best game this week and possiblity of performing at high level going forward - if not you can always drop him.

I also like Wood at least in the short term, certainly over Ray and Triggs

gr8hambin0
High-A

#4 Post by gr8hambin0 »

Appreciate the input. Cap Hook, I did pick up Shoemaker, I'm good with gambling with high upside guys like him. It paid off this week. Picked up Wood too, but still holding onto Ray and Triggs. Couldn't drop Ray this week w/ the SD matchup. Triggs...good 1st start, we'll see vs BoSox.

On the general advice to "churn away", maybe I'm too conservative, but I'm not sold that is the best way to manage a shallow league. I've not been exposed to 16 team, insane amount of roster & bench spots though either. I hate to drop someone like Schwarber, Desmond, Puig...or at some point Thames. I think, with the position I'm in as #1 so far and a deep bench, I'm in ok shape to be patient. I'm also not sure how accurate the projections systems are over the course of a season. I've honestly not paid much attention. I saw an article before the season that had ranked Steamer as the most accurate for the last couple years. Curious to hear thoughts on this.

For now, I'm sitting pat. But the trigger left-click finger is ready.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

I've yet to see a ranking system that considers all the necessary components of a projection model so I take all such analysis with a grain of salt. Plus, it doesn't matter. The differences are nothing compared to what the drafter does with them.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord