SP vs. middle relievers in NFBC

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
steveymer
Major League Regular

SP vs. middle relievers in NFBC

#1 Post by steveymer »

I'm trying to get a sense of how to balance ratio-helping relievers vs. not-great starters in NFBC. I suppose this becomes easier once the season starts and you can see what your team needs, but at the outset at least how bad does a starter need to be before you sit him in favor of a solid middle reliever?

As an example, I'm deciding between Jared Cosart and Joquain Benoit (damn that trade!) for Week 1. Cosart has one start at home against what looks like a bad Rays lineup. For what it's worth, Cockroft gives him a 49 game score, so just barely on the negative side. Benoit has 7 games this week: 3 at LA and 4 home vs. SF. Is 2-3 innings of Benoit better than 5-6 of Cosart?

As an aside, I'm thinking Nate Karns home vs. Baltimore is better than Cosart home vs. TB. Sound right?

Captain Hook

Re: SP vs. middle relievers in NFBC

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

IMO - and Todd may disagree to some extent - MR in NFBC events are only used when you have terrible SP choices and the MR has good K rates and a good week of matchups

I would play Cosart this week over Karns and I own both and am starting both in different leagues this week

steveymer
Major League Regular

Re: SP vs. middle relievers in NFBC

#3 Post by steveymer »

Thanks; that's helpful. C'mon Cosart ...