H2H Trade Choices

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

H2H Trade Choices

#1 Post by alleyoops »

5x5 H2H. I'm in 6th, with strong starting pitching and weak closers (Qualls, McGee). Daily lineups. 6 go to playoffs, top 2 get byes. It usually takes 3 closers to get the SV point most weeks, so I've been losing that.

The guy in 1st has 4 closers, and his SP is suspect after Darvish, Iwakuma and Zimmerman. He posted that he's looking to deal a closer for a SP. I offered his choice of my SPs (excluding Sale, Scherzer and Hamels) for Uehara. Those are AWood, Roark, Wheeler, Smyly, Duffy, Colon, Hughes and Garza (DL). I suggested I'd deal one of the weaker ones for KRod. He also has Casilla and Benoit.

He rejected Smyly for KRod, and countered with Wood for KRod, commenting that he liked Wood, Wheeler and Roark.

I think this kind of deal would help both teams, and help me in the battle to get to the playoffs, so I'm pretty sure I want to get something done. The question is what should I counter with (or should I accept Wood for KRod)? I'm tempted to counter with Wheeler for KRod, as I wonder if they might limit Wheeler's innings down the stretch, and Wheeler's probably a little less likely to get W's than the other two. But he's been pitching very well lately.

Thoughts?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: H2H Trade Choices

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Will dealing a starter hurt your chances to take W or K? You're still likely to be behind other closers - at least on paper.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by alleyoops »

Yes, it will impact that somewhat, but a) my SP are well above league average and b) my entire bench is SPs, while most other teams have hitters on their bench. So I'm likely still favored to win W and K each week (although it's never a sure thing). I've also managed to get a point in SV now and then, when the other guy's closers didn't get opportunities. But I think adding a closer would give me a much better shot at SV.

I looked up the closer distribution. Here it is (1st 5 would currently be in the playoffs):

RSN - 4 -Uehara, KRod, Casilla, Benoit
SCH - 3 - Rosenthal, Allen, Melancon
CHI - 3 - Kimbrel, Jansen, Robertson
THU - 3 - Cishek, Reed, Doolittle
BBA - 2 - Nathan, Chapman
ALL - 2 - Qualls, McGee
JET - 3 - Perkins, Feliz, Mejia
YEL - 2 - Soriano, Papelbon
RAU - 0
HIT - 4 - Rodney, Hawkins, Britton, Rondon
SWE - 0
MVP - 2 - Holland, Janssen

Currently I'm the weakest at closer of the playoff teams, and am favored only over the 2 teams that have no closers. Adding KRod, I'd probably pull even or close with BBA and JET, and be favored over MVP. I'd have a shot in all matchups, only being a big underdog versus CHI.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Sort of like semi-kosher or a little bit pregnant, either it hurts or it doesn't (at least the way I look at it).

I'd rather have 95% shot at two categories and 35% at another than 80% at two and 45% at another (making numbers up to illustrate the point - basically saying give me one sure thing and another iffy over less than a sure thing (if only a little).

All that rhetoric said, I think the answer is with your depth, losing Wood or Wheeler won't change things at all.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by alleyoops »

Which of Wood and Wheeler do you think I should trade? Coin flip? Roark instead of either of these guys? Think Wheeler's innings get limited at some point?

Do you see KRod as the choice over Casilla or Beloit? I suspect that Beloit's trade risk knocks him out. Casilla looks pretty solid over Romo and the alternatives at this point. But KRod doesn't seem to have risk of losing the job.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

It's Benoit...

Who knows what will happen but I think you need to go with history and go K-Rod.

As such, I like offering choices -- it often takes the place of a counter offer and gets the job done so I'd say KRod for their choice of Wood or Wheeler (Wood also in danger of fewer innings or a move to the bullpen).

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by alleyoops »

He's already offered KRod for Wood, but implied he'd take Wheeler or Roark instead of Wood. Since his offer was for Wood, I think he probably prefers him to the other two. I'll just accept - thanks for the help!

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

I would have accepted Wood for KRod FWIW

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#9 Post by alleyoops »

Thanks, Perry.