NL Only advice

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
erik

NL Only advice

#1 Post by erik »

In my 5x5 NL-Only league with an innings cap, I've got a glut of pitchers on the bench. Since Rutledge needs to be activated from my minors list, I need to clear room for him. Which of these these pitchers would you drop:

Roark, Mejia, Taylor Jordan, Erlin or Jose Veras (he went cheap in the auction).

Also, I've got Sean Marshall on the DL who it sounds like will be activated soon, who would you dump for him. His ratios and K/9 as well as the possibility of the odd save should be helpful in the league. With that being said, here's what I'm thinking:

With Veras out as closer I'm a little short on saves, so despite his general terribleness I feel a little leery about dropping him but think that he should be the first one sent packing. After that, besides Erlin, none of the others have put up great numbers. Given the innings cap on the league, I generally only need a little over 1 start a week from these guys so I figure keeping the guys with the highest upside is the best bet since I can cycle them in based on matchups.

Anyway, who would you cut in my situation?

Captain Hook

Re: NL Only advice

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

erik wrote:In my 5x5 NL-Only league with an innings cap, I've got a glut of pitchers on the bench. Since Rutledge needs to be activated from my minors list, I need to clear room for him. Which of these these pitchers would you drop:

Roark, Mejia, Taylor Jordan, Erlin or Jose Veras (he went cheap in the auction).

Also, I've got Sean Marshall on the DL who it sounds like will be activated soon, who would you dump for him. His ratios and K/9 as well as the possibility of the odd save should be helpful in the league. With that being said, here's what I'm thinking:

With Veras out as closer I'm a little short on saves, so despite his general terribleness I feel a little leery about dropping him but think that he should be the first one sent packing. After that, besides Erlin, none of the others have put up great numbers. Given the innings cap on the league, I generally only need a little over 1 start a week from these guys so I figure keeping the guys with the highest upside is the best bet since I can cycle them in based on matchups.

Anyway, who would you cut in my situation?
Well I would NOT cut Veras - how many save chances are in the FA pile?

I like Mejia and Erlin (especially in keeper leagues) over the guys from Washington and Fister is just a week or so from rehab outings so might be back late April or early May which boots one of them

erik

#3 Post by erik »

Not much for saves on the pile. Every closer and every decent backup option are rostered so I guess I should just stomach him on the roster since the Cubs really don't have any dominant guy waiting. Do you have any insight on Jordan vs Roark? Sounds like Roark is more likely to get first shot to stick in the rotation but Jordan has a higher upside. I suppose I should wait to see how Roark pitches tonight in a favourable matchup and decide from there.

This isn't a keeper league so Mejia and Erlin's future beyond this season don't need to be considered.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I would get rid of Veras. He was shaky to begin with and, keep in mind, this was a team who rescued Kevin Gregg from the scrap heap. I think Strop will get the job for a while and, by the time he falters, Veras won't be in the mix to get the job back. There's a reason he went cheap in the auction.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams