Julio Pablo Martinez

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

Julio Pablo Martinez

#1 Post by Tampa Bob »

Any take on the new Texas prospect, Julio Pablo Martinez? Apparently Baseball America is going to rank him #60 overall. He's not very big which is a bit concerning. Still, Texas is laying out $2.8 million so there must be something there. Does anybody know anybody that's seen him play?
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

Captain Hook
Major League All-Star

Re: Julio Pablo Martinez

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

I will check with the Rangers this week Bob - I am pretty high on him based on reports I read and the fact that the Rangers went after him so strongly.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by Tampa Bob »

Hi Perry, did you learn anything new about Martinez? I need to decide by Friday whether to drop Leody Taveras to open a spot for him.

Thanks,
TB
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

Captain Hook
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

trying to see him this week but personally as much as I like Taveras I would make that switch

will post before Friday

Captain Hook
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

Not finished just yet as I have to check transactions tomorrow but Martinez is in low 40s - maybe 10-15 spots higher than Taveras... just a guess based on my conversations as unfortunately I did not get to see him this week.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran

#6 Post by Tampa Bob »

An FYI, Perry, I see Martinez beat up the Dominican league and has been promoted to Spokane in the short season NW League. That should be a bit of a culture shock but might as well get that out of the way now. He had nothing left to prove (after all of 22 at bats) in the Dominican.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran

#7 Post by Tampa Bob »

It's a year later and mlb.com lists Martinez as their 56th ranked prospect. He should be fun to watch this year.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

Saw Martinez in the AFL. Given, I don't take notes and often misremember things, but if I recall correctly, he had a little Ichiro in him as he was already on the way to first base when he slapped an infield grounder. It wasn't a scout, but someone I know and trust that sees a ton of AFL games said Martinez was one of his favorite players to watch this season.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord