NL only minors draft

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

NL only minors draft

#1 Post by alleyoops »

I thought I'd share the results of our minors draft that happened today. The players needed to not have had an AB or IP in the majors (but could be kept from last year if they still had rookie eligibility). We also disqualified most of the international players who signed.

I drafted last, so the last guys in each round are mine (Kolek, Nola, Edwards). I had no keepers. The keepers are identified with an *. The order of the keepers is kind of odd, as it only correlates with where the team that kept the player finished in the standings. For example, Bryant is the best prospect, but was kept by the team that finished 2nd last year, so he shows as the next-to-last pick.

Round 1 - Russell, Crawford, Schwarber, Pederson*, Peraza, Giolito*, Winker, Gray*, Taillon*, Plawecki, KBryant*, Kolek

Round 2 - Meadows*, Dahl*, Drury, J.Bell, Renfroe, Bradley*, Turner, Urias*, Seager*, McMahon, Stephenson*, Nola

Round 3 - Matz, Almora*, Rosario, Tapia, Shipley*, Glasnow*, Conforto, Blair, Piscotty, RLopez, Nimmo, Edwards

Comments are welcome.

Captain Hook

Re: NL only minors draft

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

WHY did you go so heavy on pitchers?

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by alleyoops »

Three reasons:

1. I took the approach of taking the guy who had the best "ranking" of those available, using mlb.com and baseballamerica as my sources. Just happened to be pitchers in all cases.

2. I was a bit nervous about taking hitters, as these sources rank based on overall talent, including defense. I didn't have time to look at each player individually to see if defense was a significant component in his high ranking.

3. I missed having your ranking lists! :D

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Sorry and it won't help you for that league but I hope to have them published early next week.

Aside from rankings unless there is a league reason (probably salaries - many leauges give rookie pitchers lower salaries than hitters)
I wouldn't pick all pitchers - you passed on some very good hitters

Also everyone should remember my ml rankings are more attuned to fantasy purposes than others

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by alleyoops »

I definitely would have used/preferred your lists to the MLB and BA ones, if they had been available. I used them last year, and your advice, and got Giolito, Dahl, and Shipley. I traded them all, in separate trades, on my way to a pennant. All of them were kept this year by their team owners.

I'm curious why the preference of hitters over pitchers? Is it that pitching prospects don't pan out as often (injuries, raw talent doesn't translate to the majors, etc.)? I would think those things would be factored into the rankings, as well.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

alleyoops wrote:I definitely would have used/preferred your lists to the MLB and BA ones, if they had been available. I used them last year, and your advice, and got Giolito, Dahl, and Shipley. I traded them all, in separate trades, on my way to a pennant. All of them were kept this year by their team owners.

I'm curious why the preference of hitters over pitchers? Is it that pitching prospects don't pan out as often (injuries, raw talent doesn't translate to the majors, etc.)? I would think those things would be factored into the rankings, as well.
I don't think that is factored into their ratings - they are just ranking players based on presumed talent.

But yes there is not only a great risk of not reaching full development but also greater chance of injuries with pitchers.
Among the elite prospects you would expect a much longer career with a hitter than you would a pitcher.