AL Only prospects

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Tig

AL Only prospects

#1 Post by Tig »

Im looking for some thoughts/rankings/potential ETA on a few prospects. When do you see them getting a shot? do you see them being moved from their position or traded?

Mookie Betts -2b/Boston: blocked by Pedroia.... made 1st start in the OF last night. already a glut of OF in Boston with Sizemore, Victorino, Gomes, and Bradley.. would they "give up" on Bradley to give him a shot?
Garin Cecchini - 3b/Boston: thought he might get the call with Middlebrooks back on the DL. Is he simply not ready?
Joey Gallo - 3b/Texas: blocked by Beltre.. blocked by Fielder at 1b. destined to be traded?

I own these 3 along with Addison Russell and Byron Buxton in my 12 team AL only league.. Looking to shore up my team for this year, so gonna have to start looking at moving some ML Guys...

Captain Hook

Re: AL Only prospects

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Tig wrote:Im looking for some thoughts/rankings/potential ETA on a few prospects. When do you see them getting a shot? do you see them being moved from their position or traded?

Mookie Betts -2b/Boston: blocked by Pedroia.... made 1st start in the OF last night. already a glut of OF in Boston with Sizemore, Victorino, Gomes, and Bradley.. would they "give up" on Bradley to give him a shot?
Garin Cecchini - 3b/Boston: thought he might get the call with Middlebrooks back on the DL. Is he simply not ready?
Joey Gallo - 3b/Texas: blocked by Beltre.. blocked by Fielder at 1b. destined to be traded?

I own these 3 along with Addison Russell and Byron Buxton in my 12 team AL only league.. Looking to shore up my team for this year, so gonna have to start looking at moving some ML Guys...

1) Betts - they are already working with Mookie in learning to play the outfield because that is his quickest path to Boston. Dynamic player so keep him or get a king's ransom for him

2) Cecchini - Is just not ready defensively and frankly I think he is over projected and ranked higher than he should be - this is the one guy to talk up, show stats and try and use IF it gets you enough

3) Gallo - Is not as blocked as you make it out BUT remember he is at high A, so the next likely promotion which could be soon would be to AA Frisco. There are a number of people who think that IF the Rangers can't get back into WC contention they might be sellers later in the year - I don't necessarily agree but if that is the case there are teams who would pay dearly for Adrian Beltre. That doesn't give Gallo a major league job but it does make it easier to give him on the job experience and see how ready or not he might be. He has light tower power as they say and I wouldn't trade that unless the Rangers fail to trade Beltre ... even then in the AL there is that DH slot

Congrats that might be the best group of five AL mlers I have seen on one team - do NOT squander your assets.
I was often asked what it would take for me to trade Mike Trout who I have rostered in an AL only league since 2010 and trading one of your guys is similar - Only if it will practically guarantee a Championship this year (and it's far too early to see that)

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Re: AL Only prospects

#3 Post by CubFan »

I agree with Perry that Betts best bet (say that fast 3 times in a row without messing up) to the majors is OF. Bradley has been given a pretty long leash this year but a .200 hitter with no power and Ks close to 30% of the time is not going to cut it no matter how good defensively you are.

The Drew signing means no Cecchini this year unless he gets a cup of java in Sep. The Drew signing also ticks me off since I have Middlebrooks and expected a big season from him. Guess Todd will need to lower his counting stats for ROS. Who knows what 2015 holds. Boegarts could stay at 3B and they get another SS. Can Betts play SS? I don't know alot on Cecchini other than he hits for average but power numbers are not in the Middlebrooks range.

Gallo….with him being in A-ball right now barring a series of catastrophic injuries he is not coming to TX this season. At 35 are we seeing the start of Beltre's regression due to age and wear and tear? I think TX will be within shouting distance of at least one of the two wild card spots so not expecting them to move Beltre. He's signed through 2015. It's a big contract but next year I can see them trying to move him is Gallo shows he can handle AA/AAA pitching. And as Perry said there is the DH if they don't move Beltre.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -