AL Only - Deep Names

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Trav The Ump

AL Only - Deep Names

#1 Post by Trav The Ump »

So having won last year (yay me!) I've got the 12th and 24th pick in this years minor draft. Meaning I've got to dig a little. Our minor rules are pretty straight forward. Any guy without 50ip or 130ab's in the majors qualifies, this means Tanaka and Abreu will be the first two picks. Here are some of the names I'm interested in hearing others opinions on;

(Of note, I only value these picks as far as trading them for current roster help. I flipped Sano/ Bogaerts this offseason for a 2 unit Chris Davis. So I'm really looking for "perceived" value. These guys won't be on my roster in 4-5 years.)

Raul Mondesi SS KC - Raul's kid, talent seems to be there and his old man was actually decent for awhile. I like the name recognition but he might be a draft and hold?

Rougned Odor 2B TEX - Seems talented, but that Profar guy is there...

Jorge Alfaro C TEX - Power but catchers can take time, worry if he slows the value isn't there.

Clint Frazier OF CLE - He seems interesting to me, may be gone by my first pick however.

Micah Johnson 2B CHW - Who led the minors in steals last year? Not Billy Hamilton. I just like the perception here.

Guys I could possibly add with major league time who could help me out soon? Yordano Ventura (finished the season on my roster but I'm not keeping at $10), Matt Davidson, Michael Choice (he's really interesting to me in that I could have him for a couple of weeks on my farm roster to see what he does).

Any input is appreciated Gents,

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: AL Only - Deep Names

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

C.J. Cron LAA 1B - not like they don't have a lot of problems at that position these days.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Trav The Ump wrote:So having won last year (yay me!) I've got the 12th and 24th pick in this years minor draft. Meaning I've got to dig a little. Our minor rules are pretty straight forward. Any guy without 50ip or 130ab's in the majors qualifies, this means Tanaka and Abreu will be the first two picks. Here are some of the names I'm interested in hearing others opinions on;

(Of note, I only value these picks as far as trading them for current roster help. I flipped Sano/ Bogaerts this offseason for a 2 unit Chris Davis. So I'm really looking for "perceived" value. These guys won't be on my roster in 4-5 years.)

Raul Mondesi SS KC - Raul's kid, talent seems to be there and his old man was actually decent for awhile. I like the name recognition but he might be a draft and hold?

Rougned Odor 2B TEX - Seems talented, but that Profar guy is there...

Jorge Alfaro C TEX - Power but catchers can take time, worry if he slows the value isn't there.

Clint Frazier OF CLE - He seems interesting to me, may be gone by my first pick however.

Micah Johnson 2B CHW - Who led the minors in steals last year? Not Billy Hamilton. I just like the perception here.

Guys I could possibly add with major league time who could help me out soon? Yordano Ventura (finished the season on my roster but I'm not keeping at $10), Matt Davidson, Michael Choice (he's really interesting to me in that I could have him for a couple of weeks on my farm roster to see what he does).

Any input is appreciated Gents,
What are your league rules about rookies? And when do you draft them? Every one of the last group rates to be on opening day rosters meaning they would be in the auction in my leagues.

IF you are only interested in trade value, look at the MLB.com prospect rankings or the Baseball America Top 100 so that if they don't already know about them you have something to help sell your players.

How many minor leaguers can each team keep?
When do you need a solid list of 24 names?

Trav The Ump

#4 Post by Trav The Ump »

2 round straight draft prior to the auction, meant to help the worst teams restock on the cheap. Not ideal I know, but it works for us.

Once the season starts if a guy is on an active roster you have 2 Sundays to activate or drop him, the only exception is if a guy is called up after Sept. 1st.

Teams may roster 0-4 minors guys, but you only draft 2 per year. I currently have none having graduated S. Gray and Bogaerts last year along with trading away Sano a week ago.

My draft is the 30th, so lots of time. Just starting to get my rankings in line and clear some thoughts in my head.

Thanks Perry!

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

I love Mondesi, Alfaro, and Frazier BUT they are all at least a year, probably two away so don't seem to fit what you are looking for.

BTW had a choice of all three of those at 1.05 in a ml draft this morning and took Frazier who I think has the higher ceiling